Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

XML XQuery problem Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (3/12/2009)
If you want to run it in SSMS and get the answer, that's up to you. However that kind of defeats the purpose of the questions. You should make an attempt to answer the question without running it.

Think about it, if someone asked you this in an interview, would you answer it or say, "I can't do it without SSMS?"

Agreed. I have nothing against such questions and most of them are quite informative. But they are easy to answer so i thought 4 points were a bit too much.

RBarryYoung has put the point across quite nicely.

"Keep Trying"
Post #674957
Posted Friday, March 13, 2009 3:30 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:08 AM
Now a much more useful question form, both in interviews and for SSC (IMHO), is "When I run this in SSMS, I get this. WHY?" You just have to make sure that there is a definitive and deterministic answer (which admittedly takes some work to get right).
I completely agree on that. Or another question: What is needed to change to get the desired result? These question I have to face about daily, not a question about what the output would be of some code.

Ronald Hensbergen

Help us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2+2=5 for significant large values of 2
Post #674997
Posted Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:03 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:21 PM
ChiragNS (3/12/2009)
Why 4 points for this question? I mean u can run this thing in SSMS and get the answer.

Maybe I should have done that - I might have been four points better off. But I wouldn't have had the mental excercise of trying to recall how xml works in sql server.

Tom
Post #1031235
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse