Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

generating and storing a counter Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:23 PM

Your DBAs are RIGHT

Hi Noel

Thank you for this information! I still do not really know why but I don't have to. I'm an architect and only need to know that I have to avoid IDENTITIY columns ;)

Greets
Flo

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Post #669694
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:31 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:22 PM
Luckily I haven't ran into replication much. Because as the only technology seems to be the defacto where I work is clustering or nothing heh. But for replication issues; I would think Identity column causes issues in Merge replications correct? Because seed values might be different in two different nodes?

But aside from that in stand alone databases, mirroring, etc. Is there anywhere you guys have found Identity column to be a bad choice? Thanks.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
Post #669695
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:37 PM

SSCrazy

Okay I suspected that this discussion will start now...

I got my coke and my popcorn :D so let me learn about pro and contra of IDENTITIES! I'm really always interested in different sights!

Greets
Flo

Post #669703
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:40 PM

SSCrazy

Mohit (3/5/2009)
Luckily I haven't ran into replication much. Because as the only technology seems to be the defacto where I work is clustering or nothing heh. But for replication issues; I would think Identity column causes issues in Merge replications correct? Because seed values might be different in two different nodes?

But aside from that in stand alone databases, mirroring, etc. Is there anywhere you guys have found Identity column to be a bad choice? Thanks.

Sure a cluster is always a good solution, but it is cost factor. We additionally have an external desaster-recovery data-center at another location. I think here is no other way than a replication.

Post #669710
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:42 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51 AM
Mohit (3/5/2009)

Merge is just one of the problems, in transactional you will have to checkident the subscriber tables if you need failover.
Disconnected Editing is cumbersome with identity columns; therefore ID tables are there to rescue you :D
.. and there are more but they are very specific and you could arguably say that identity could still be used.

Don't get me wrong on places like DW with Dimession and Fact Tables it makes sense.
On OLTP and disconnected systems, there are many situations in which there are better alternatives.

* Noel
Post #669712
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:48 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Heh Thanks Noel.

After I finish my Part 2 for Denormalization Article ..

I think I know what I am going to Rant about next maybe I'll just rant on me blog . I started DBA work about 3.5 years ago; I really enjoy it. But it's annoying too LOL, as soon as I realize I figured something out it throws a curve ball at me . I been getting alot more white hair maybe DBA work is doing that to me hehe.

Thanks.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

Post #669721
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:03 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51 AM
Mohit (3/5/2009)
Heh Thanks Noel.

After I finish my Part 2 for Denormalization Article ..

I think I know what I am going to Rant about next maybe I'll just rant on me blog . I started DBA work about 3.5 years ago; I really enjoy it. But it's annoying too LOL, as soon as I realize I figured something out it throws a curve ball at me . I been getting alot more white hair maybe DBA work is doing that to me hehe.

Thanks.

I have been a DBA for longer than I would like to admit :D and I am not getting "white" hair ... I am losing it

* Noel
Post #669738
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:08 PM

SSC Eights!

Naa they just starting to go white; my students at Kendo say I am finally catching up to them LOL. All good longest I don't lose em eheh.

---

Post #669796
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse