Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Up Your Value Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:47 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (3/5/2009)
If a manager doesn't appreciate what you've done, re-examine it and be sure that you have gone above and beyond. Talk to someone else you trust and see if you have really done more than others.

Very good point. I had a former colleague who was very sure that he was a top-class performer, that he did far above what was required. Unfortunately his beliefs and reality differed somewhat.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #669334
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:07 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:56 PM
I'm not sure the blame list should be too small or infrequent. I want people trying things and growing, and that often requires mistakes. You don't want big mistakes, or mistakes because someone doesn't bother to think ahead of time, but you have to tolerate them.

What you can't tolerate is the same mistakes over and over. You have to learn from your mistakes.

New mistakes = OK. Same mistake = Problem

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #669388
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:09 PM

I laughed out loud at a Dilbert comic strip from Monday of this week. The "Director of Marketecture" is giving a presentation and he says "It is better to seem good than to be good." The projected slide behind him says "BEING GOOD (overrated)."

The reality is that, whether for a company, a product, or an individual, BOTH are important: being good and seeming good. If you only have one or the other going for you, you are more likely to find yourself in trouble sooner or later.
Post #669462
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:24 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
I have saved goal-completion interviews for purposes of bonus by keeping a list of accomplishments. Also a job or two. That is the deal with IT jobs though... nobody really notices you unless stuff is broken, and then you are under the gun. There are no real kudos "saving the day"; that is expected from IT positions. Recognized accomplishments are actual improvements and extra above-and-beyond the call of duty type issues. Taking initiative and can-do attitude are the real tools in this area.
Post #669464
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:46 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 08, 2013 5:39 PM
Hmm, showing value. For me, it's a simple formula: employer = customer. I don't work as an employee. I contract/consult/temp - whatever you want to call it. The valuable work finds me and I am always under evaluation. I don't require the corporate performance review (an absolute abomination, IMO). My approval comes in the form of getting paid and getting more work. The best part is that my work is actually desired; I'm not just some warm body kept on staff to maintain someone's fiefdom.

As a side, am I alone in my cynicism of corporate work and the "performance review"? Surely there must be others?? Maybe I need therapy :)

James Stover, McDBA
Post #669718
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:58 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:32 AM
James Stover (3/5/2009)
As a side, am I alone in my cynicism of corporate work and the "performance review"? Surely there must be others?? Maybe I need therapy :)

No, James, you are not alone in your cynicsm of performance reviews. I work for a government contractor and it is a strange mix of consulting, corporate work and bureaucracy. It's a job, certainly an interesting one, but can drive me absolutely bonkers. Performance reviews are one of the most obnoxious parts of the job. Totally subjective, written by someone who knows very little about my job (unless I write my own review), and has to be reviewed and accepted by a list of government and civilian supervisors. But, like I said, it's a job and I do enjoy it for the most part.

As for you needing therapy.... probably true of most technologists, don't you think?
Post #669733
Posted Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:22 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
The best counter-measure to performance reviews is a detailed log of accomplishments and contributions. Journaling is a Good Thing.
Post #669811
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse