Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Centralising Reporting Services Stylesheets Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 29, 2011 4:14 AM
Googd Work.

Thanks a lot.

This is the way I was expecting making a DLL and get rid of COPY-PASTE code into each report code-window.

Your DLL with Table approach is awsome because there is no need to compile the DLL, if data value (color attribute) changes.
Excellent work.

Regards,
Nizam
Post #669932
Posted Friday, March 6, 2009 1:24 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:20 AM
Thanks Nizam - and there's more next week in the final article in the series.

Adam
Post #669987
Posted Friday, March 6, 2009 1:26 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi Irina,

I am not getting this - are you sure that yu are copying the code exactly as it is?

Regards,

Adam
Post #669991
Posted Friday, March 6, 2009 7:48 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10 AM
Hello, Adam.
Thank you very much for your response.
I followed instructions from article:Using a Custom Assembly, Using an SQL server table with Custom Assembly.I am getting the same error if I am trying to use any of them in my custom code. What can cause the error I am receiving? When I am building Class FixedStyleLibrary it should give me error if I didn't copy the code correctly. Right?
Post #670225
Posted Monday, March 9, 2009 6:35 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, May 3, 2013 12:27 PM
For Irina: The error is coming from the report itself. It cannot find the DLL. Make sure you add the reference in your *report* project to the style DLL, and that the latter is in the correct location at run-time.

For Adam: DUDE! This rocks, especially the data-driven piece, which is exactly what I will implement. I've actually be waiting for the last week for this article to appear. The one thing I will try to add, and to address issues about performance, is caching of the result set from the DLL. I.e. Once the data is loaded from the database, it should be memory resident on the report server unless forced to reload. At the very least (in case in-memory caching is not doable), each report should have 2 functions: 1 calls a method inside the DLL that returns a dataset of all the style info and stores it in a variable in the report, and a second that searches the data set variable for the requested style for each property setting. I can't wait to get my fingers into this! Thanks for a great article.
Post #671404
Posted Monday, March 9, 2009 7:49 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10 AM
Thank you very much for your help. My problem was: the configuration for build project was in release mode instead of debug. My custom code works now. Thank you very much. Irina.
Post #671495
Posted Friday, March 13, 2009 3:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:02 PM
Unless I am missing something, this does not work in the header or footer of the report. Would love to be proved wrong but if so it does limit the applicability of this approach
Post #675006
Posted Friday, March 13, 2009 4:13 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:02 PM
Sorry, Footer is O.K. - header no luck - same sort of restriction as for db images. Come on M$!
Post #675014
Posted Friday, March 13, 2009 4:31 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:04 PM
Hi Adam

This is a fantastic article and just what I'm looking for to reduce the workload in creating many reports while ensuring a consistent look and feel. I've worked through the steps for the data driven option and can compile and preview in Visual Studio 2005, however when I try to deploy to the report server I get:

The Color expression for the textbox ‘textbox1’ contains an error: [BC30456] 'DataStyleLibrary' is not a member of 'DynamicStyleLibrary'. (rsCompilerErrorInExpression)

I have checked that the dll is referenced in report properties references tab, and as I said, this previews fine from VS so I believe the dll is fine. My knowledge of vb programming is limited so I'm now stuck for solutions. Can you help please?

Susan
Post #675027
Posted Friday, March 13, 2009 5:39 AM
SSC Journeyman

Hi Susan,

This could mean that the Dll is not deployed correctly - you will have to make sure that you are copying it to the right directories!

Good luck,

Adam
Post #675059
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse