Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Centralising Reporting Services Stylesheets Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 3, 2014 10:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Centralising Reporting Services Stylesheets
Post #668960
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:31 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:31 PM
Good work Adam. I spend a lot of my time authoring and maintaining Reporting Services reports, but my programming knowledge outside of SQL/T-SQL is VERY poor, and have therefore been quite slow to embrace the full set of features available.

This article (and the first one) was very easy to follow, and I will definitely be trying to influence my team to use these techniques as soon as we can. We have a LOT of reports that do have a consistent look and feel, but this is achieved through us just being vigilant and making sure things are as they are meant to be. Of course, we don't always get it right, and heaven forbid we should ever have to change styles.

Thanks for this. Hope you can show us more ways to use RS to the full.

Matt.

Post #669016
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:11 AM
Another thank you Adam.

I have always wanted something like this but have been unsure how to implement it (and more than a little concerned about busting something!). This is a brilliant start for me.

I would like to work towards having text content based on similar principles too. We run lots of business contracts here and groups of reports have to have standardised report disclaimers / security messages in the footer according to the contract we are provisioning. If I can control the text in a database row and then reference a function from a text box in the footer then I can be certain to have all reports content identical, and future updates (contract changes) will be much more easily propogated.

thanks again

Jonathan
Post #669052
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:30 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:45 PM
Hello Adam!

So far your article is easy to follow, however I have a question. Whenever I launch Visual Studio I do not have a Class Library Project as an option, only SSAS, SSIS, and SSRS for SQL Server. Can you point me in the right direction?
Post #669211
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:57 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:03 AM
Hi Christina,

If I may answer on Adams behalf, it sounds as though you are attempting to open BIDS rather than a specific version of visual studio.

The Express version of Vidual Studio is available to download for free and will provide what you are looking for.

Cheers,

John Sansom (@sqlBrit) | www.johnsansom.com
Post #669247
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:01 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 10:58 AM
One thing to keep in mind about using the dll method is that you may run into performance problems, especially in matrix cell formatting, as the call seems to be running per outputted cell.. maybe it was something I was doing that caused the call that often, but just something to be aware of.
Post #669255
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:33 AM
SSC Journeyman

Hi Christina,

Just make sure that you have selected :

Visual Basic
Windows

On the left, and you will be able to select a class project.

And thanks to John for the extra help - I was busy with a work crisis!

Regards,

Adam
Post #669288
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:36 AM
SSC Journeyman

Thanks for this hint, Ryan, I will keep an eye out for performance problems.

I have not noticed any so far - but the MDX & T-SQL on the reports I was using (before adding dll styles) was so slow that any preformance hit due to styling was lost in the general turgid nature of the output.

Oh for enlightened managers and proper investment in hardware... (rant finished).

Regards,

Adam
Post #669291
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:44 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:45 PM
Ok, I am on the right track. thanks to both Adam and John!
Post #669299
Posted Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:20 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10 AM
I would like some help. I am trying to use the function what we created, I am getting the error:

[rsCompilerErrorInExpression] The BackgroundColor expression for the text box ‘textbox11’ contains an error: [BC30451] Name 'DynamicStyleLibrary' is not declared.
Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings

PLease help. Thank you.
Post #669402
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse