Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Using SAN replication for DR on a SQL server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:19 PM
Michael Valentine Jones (3/25/2009)
george sibbald (3/25/2009)

...Michael, I like the boot from SAN idea, do you do that?. Our intel guys don't seem keen, saying there are performance problems. Seems to me it would give the slickest failover though...

Never used it myself.

I would ask whoever said there are performance problems for more info about why they are saying that. Did they actually try it themselves? Or did they just hear it somewhere, and are repeating an old wives tale based on some problems with early versions, etc.? Also, even if they did try it themselves, did they really know what they were doing?

Doesn't hurt to be a little skeptical. Of course, that also includes the promises made by SAN vendors with visions of of multimillion dollar sales.

We already have the SAN and SRDF with it, both are already used for fileservers and app servers etc, so perhaps the experience with boot from SAN comes from that. Whatever I will include that setup in the POC. The powers that be have said they want SRDF used for the SQL servers and if we are going to go that route (and I'm quite happy to) I'm just really smitten by the idea of being able to replicate the whole server so failover becomes flip the drives and boot the server up, no worrying about hardcoded server names or file locations in databases, SSIS packages etc. I maybe being too optimistic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #684146
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:56 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:34 PM
never did boot from san myself, but i think it's pretty easy to set up

just set the HBA BIOS on to boot from and have the SAN admin provision the disk before you boot and just install the OS or boot from HP Smartstart or other vendor OS install scripting CD

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #684150
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:04 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Steve Jones - Editor (3/25/2009)

What is on the C drive you're worried about? Should be a base instance, which should be minimal to recover for you.

cheers for the insight steve.

Its those things on the C drive that a SQL install places on the C no matter where you actually ask for the install to go to. i.e the things that go into program files\microsoft SQL server, such as binaries for the tools I believe go there, and of course information held in the registry.

Our system databases are placed on the SAN so have the potential to be replicated by SRDF. If we do replicate them I was wondering how others who do that handle SQL upgrades to the SRDF pair to keep the binaries on the C in line with the system databases.

Post #684158
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:23 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:34 PM
we have DR servers at a remote location. most apps are java and use sql logins and we have a db/tables that we use to point apps to servers and db's. the app server has a local text file that tells it which alias db to go to. each alias db has a table with the info. just edit the file to point it to a new server

on the remote server we already have the sql logins set up. for windows authenication if you use groups instead of creating a separate login for everyone it's a lot easier to manage

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #684182
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:03 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
George,

I think most people handle it like other DR stuff. They reinstall SQL (have to know the version + SP + hotfix) on the new server and then point things to the SAN. Or they keep a warm server handy and apply patches to both at once.

It's sad that SQL still requires a C drive for some things.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #684237
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:15 AM
SSCertifiable

Cheers for the input everybody, appreciate it

and in 2008 the resource database goes on the C as well I believe!

Post #684323
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:04 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:23 PM
george sibbald (3/26/2009)
Cheers for the input everybody, appreciate it

and in 2008 the resource database goes on the C as well I believe!

We have SRDF setup in our env and one common question which arise everyday is how can one come to know that my server is set up under SRDF. Is there any command which I can run on my primary box and confirm that this server is under SRDF DR recovery?
Post #1390965
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:04 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:23 PM
We have SRDF setup in our env and one common question which arise everyday is how can one come to know that my server is set up under SRDF. Is there any command which I can run on my primary box and confirm that this server is under SRDF DR recovery?
Post #1390966
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse