Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

8 Clicks to What Changed Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:13 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item 8 Clicks to What Changed

Bill Wunder
Post #662156
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:00 PM
I hope this was at least a paid entry. Other wise, I'd have to rate it as some seriously overdone SPAM.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #662341
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:20 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Sorry, Not paid and not my intention to SPAM anyone. I was worried about it being over the line but figured I'd at least make a few people chuckle. My mistake.

Bill Wunder
Post #662356
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 2:33 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, October 31, 2014 4:46 AM
Perhaps not the most subtle...but that lack of sublety did make me chuckle. And whilst I don't think our company is likely to invest in the software at the moment, it's handy to know that it's available in the marketplace.

C
Post #662427
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 2:58 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:35 PM
I find it unusual that the requirement of SQL Server 2008 is not mentioned until you actually try to install the utility.
Post #662435
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 8:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure how this is SPAM. It's listed as a case study, the description says it's a tool.

We run these sponsored articles, and they are paid for. In this case, I waived the fee for Bill since he's been a great help to the SQL community and a friend.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #662630
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 8:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Sorry... didn't realize that it was a sponsored article in that, if you go directly to the article itself, there's nothing in the article or it's header to indicate that's what it was. I should have known better because people can actually post their own articles. My humble appologies.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #662643
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 9:33 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:53 PM
People can't post their own articles. They can submit them, but they're all reviewed.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #662712
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 10:24 AM
Grasshopper

To be honest, it does not really require SQL Server 2008, only the SQL Server 2008 SMO assemblies. However, if you try to target a SQL Server 2008 from a SQL Server 2005 without .NET 3.5 SP1 and 10.0 SMO the results are incomplete. Its the same problem you have with trying to use DMO on a 2005 instance.The backward compatibility scenario is a much better experience. So I decided it was better guidance to point yoou toward SQL Server 2008. I think it is spelled out a little better in the "Installing SQL Clue" help file.

I added that installer check box page with the SQL Server 2008 requirement message last week. The check list is there as a reminder. It helps eliminate confusion about why the install fails when it fails. It also allows you to bail on the installation before anything happens.

The true prerequisites - those checked in the Visual Studio setup project - are Windows Installer 3.1, .NET 3.5 SP1, ReportViewer 2008, and [a minimum of] SQL Server 2005 Express SP2. These can all be downloaded directly from Microsoft (at no cost).

SQLClue is a great first SQL Server 2008 box for the DBA. It is an application fully under the control of the DBA and it uses features new with 2008. While the stuff installs, configures and runs nicely, you get an opportunity to get some time behind the wheel in a low stress but highly useful way before the shop adds a line of business 2008 instance.

Bill Wunder
Post #662766
Posted Monday, February 23, 2009 10:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)
People can't post their own articles. They can submit them, but they're all reviewed.

And, I even phat-phingered my response... I meant to say "can't" and it came out "can".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #662771
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse