Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Database objects & version control- Best practices? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:14 AM
Are there any freeware tools that help to manage database version?
Post #701364
Posted Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:40 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, August 23, 2010 8:30 AM
Hi John,

You have hit the nail on the head when you are discussing Visual SourceSafe and SSMS - if you are to use the default integration then you have to edit files within a project basically outside of the database (although within the SSMS editor).

You rightly say that there is no link or constraint between the actual object within the database and the files in the project, they are simply external scripts that affect database objects. This means that people can make modifications to the database objects without having to update the version of the file in Visual Sourcesafe. The database won't even complain that changes are being made outside of the version control.

We want to have a tool that will prevent people changing database objects without first updating the version control system. This projects feature within SSMS is an alternative to the technique we use of scripting the objects to a file in a folder and then adding them into sourcesafe. On the downside though as you mention the interchangability of 'CREATE PROCEDURE....' and 'ALTER PROCEDURE...' can give false changes within a module, whereas using the scripting tool within the database gives a more consistent script.

itamar has mentioned a tool I've never heard of before - I think we will be looking at that to see whether it does what we want - or at least does a better job than what we are managing with at the moment.

Tony
Post #701379
Posted Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:43 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 8:47 AM
I've just read through this thread, hoping, hoping, that someone had found a 'great' (or workable) solution. Alas, it isn't so. I'll add, though, that in the VS6 days source control was integrated, truly integrated into the interface such that when opening up an SP, its contents were checked against the VSS version and the user was warned if different.

Now, I wonder if a solution for storing changes might lay with DDL triggers firing off a CLR assembly that interfaces the VSS API. Too bad my skill-level isn't good enough, and time is too short. But: maybe someone can make their million?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark
Just a cog in the wheel.
Post #701888
Posted Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:58 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:31 PM
Take a look at message 474053 which describes our method.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost474053.aspx

I describe how we store each object as a separate file in the source code control system (currently Perforce, but Visual SourceSafe before), address the CREATE/ALTER/DROP issue with stored procedures, etc. and guarantee that the upgrade script is consistent.

Not all of the tools will generate a proper "upgrade" script.
Examples:
In our last upgrade we needed to change an XML schema collection. This required that we properly "unwind" any bindings, make the change, and then rebind the XML schema to the various objects. An interesting sequence of operations that I doubt any software tool will do.

Often, as part of a schema change we need to change some meta data values that are stored in tables.

So if the tool will not generate a complete upgrade script and you still have to make manual changes to the script, then the tool hasn't provided any benefit.

(PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.
Post #702354
Posted Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:57 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:05 AM
May be you know this utility for your source control http://www.dynamsoft.com/Downloads/SAW_Download.aspx
Post #702487
Posted Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:36 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 8:02 AM
How about Visual Studio Team Suite 2005 / 2008...?
I have tried Visual Studio Team Suite 2008, and it is very handy for the SQL developers.

BUT Its Not Free...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

Post #702891
Posted Friday, April 24, 2009 7:20 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:27 AM
I use a poor (simple?) man's solution that runs a sweep of all data base objects nightly, and captures a copy of anything that has been modified in a table.
Works fine for me. I miss multiple changes made during the day, but those are only failed test attempts that are not worth saving anyway. Other than that, I have a complete history of all versions.
Post #703928
Posted Friday, April 24, 2009 10:19 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:05 AM
You can try VS TeamSystem with this VPC http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/teamsystem/default.mspx. Has a web interface very simple. It's looks like Share Point.
Post #704119
Posted Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:04 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:36 AM
tony.sawyer (4/21/2009)
Hi John,

itamar has mentioned a tool I've never heard of before - I think we will be looking at that to see whether it does what we want - or at least does a better job than what we are managing with at the moment.

Tony

I'll be happy to hear what you think of it.

--------

SQL Data compare , Synchronize data from diffrent surces, and many other SQL tools.
Post #704385
Posted Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:27 AM
Hi

We use SQL Server 2012 and have stored procedures in Dev and Live environment. When we decide to move changes made to Dev TO Live, we need to be able to compare the scripts in Dev and Live and see the changes so that we can analyse the impact of the same and plan accordingly. We use the Generate Scripts option in both environments, however, the scripts do not come in the same order in each of them and hence it becomes very difficult to compare them. Would you be able to suggest a tool which can give the changes in the same order so that taking a DIFF of them would be easy ? OR will you be able to share something you have developed to know the list of changes made to all Stored procedures in a given range of dates ?

Regards
Mannulal
Post #1504658
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse