Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Conversion Fun Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:33 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:12 AM
J (3/11/2009)
OKay ...

Yes I did learn something here, about a star symbol being entered by an implicit conversion. All the more reason to condemn "tricks" like assigning an integer to a char or varchar that is not long enough.

The post is OK, on the caveat that instructions be added that anyone producing code like this needs to be identified, taken in the street and shot. And his house burned down. Preemptive strike to avoid the grief of being stuck later when the guilty party is out of reach.

[sarcasm] Think Green - if you're already going to burn down his house, save the bullet. Let's not be wasteful. Think of the street cleaners. [/sarcasm]

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #673469
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:36 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:54 AM
Not good enough.

I want the satisfaction.

In fact, a knife would be even more personal.
Post #673474
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:04 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:13 AM
Holy crap, the Code Gestapo is going to make his rounds!
I am removing all comments from any code that may point back to me. What do you think about that?
Post #673690
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:09 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:45 AM
As long as there is going to be carnage, would you also add to the victims' list the names of those who say "Choose your answer", instead of "Choose all you think are correct?" :P

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #673698
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:12 PM
SSC-Addicted

Ach soooo ...

How about next time YOU have to debug SQL statments embedded in the application code. The genius could not code it like

SELECT Customer_Name, Customer_Code, Customer_Alias FROM Customer

Of course not. Since the application supports it, this brilliant coding was used:

q.Fields[2], Fields[14], Fields[21]...

That genius I would have gladly strangled.

A honest mistake, I can accept. Hey I am still learning today that I was wrong about things I was certain of. Plus, I am ashamed of code I wrote only a few years ago.

But poison code guaranteed to make soemone else's life miserable, NEVER.

And suppressing comments, that is also high on my 5hit list.

As for escaping, "I haff detailed files".
Post #673701
Posted Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:22 PM
SSC-Addicted

Bob Hovious (3/11/2009)
As long as there is going to be carnage, would you also add to the victims' list the names of those who say "Choose your answer", instead of "Choose all you think are correct?" :P

Actually, more of a Darwin limitation (unfortunately void if they had time to reproduce).

"Victims"? Hardly. Just a hit list.

The President asked the CIE, the local police, and the FBR to find where whe wabbits live.

The CIE consulted mineral and vegetal assets and concluded there was no such thing as a wabbit.

The local police came back with a badly beaten bear which said OK, OK I'm a wabbit.

The FBR torched all the forests it could find and said the wabbits had it comin'.

It's been a long day today. I guess I am getting close to being reported.

Post #673711
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse