Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The New Office Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:24 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:41 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The New Office

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #654353
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:59 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 1, 2014 4:13 AM
That almost sounds like a recruitment advert!:)

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
Post #654531
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:15 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, March 17, 2014 6:21 AM
Wow, that office looks really big and nice, lot of space.

I've worked in one company with 10 other guyz in a room of some 90 sq f. , now that was gr8 and a lot of fun (NOT).
been there for two months and ran as fast as I could from there, considering my condition (anxiety and panic attacks) I sometimes wonder how I hold on for so long there :)

Now I'm working from home, but sometimes I miss being surrounded with lot of ppl.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

Post #654639
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:23 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:15 AM
Very nice narration. More open than I care for, too many distractions, but for all that clearly they did put some time and effort into trying to make the office cheerful and livable.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #654678
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:55 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:23 AM
Nice editorial Steve, but I always find discussions of office layouts most curious - as though arranging furniture and amenities is really going to have all that much effect one way or the other on how an office "runs". A great example of this would be a company I once did a consult in that used the "open office" concept, but the two weeks I spent there was more like being at Gestapo headquarters in World War 2. The guy who ran the place forbade people from chatting and I have been in churches and libraries with more noise during the day - the people were uptight and did not engage each other except in whispers. No one seemed all that happy at their jobs, and worse, everyone steered clear of this fellow whose management style was to get angry, be angry and stay angry.

I have come to think that its all well and good to provide a nice place for people to work, but that is really only half the job. No matter how nice your surroundings are, offices are for people and if you don't have people who feel comfortable, no amount of furniture, murals, employee amenities are going to make a difference. Companies, after all, are made up of people - not furnishings.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #654700
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:44 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, October 2, 2009 6:43 AM
I hate open offices. Too much distracting chatter and too many interruptions. One I worked in was so noisy people would get physically ill from noise induced stress.

On the other hand, I like wide open spaces, particularly if I can open windows and doors on a warm rainy day.

Wonder if I could get an office with sheet waterfall walls that had laser displays of the great outdoors on them? And a great sound system that played nature sounds.

Naw, then I'ld want a stream flowing through it and a fishing pole.

That popping sound was me snapping back to reality...

Post #654747
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:41 PM
I don't think the furniture arrangement offers up a lot, but it does add something.

There was a lot of thought given to making things look good, more than a few pictures, and I liked the artistic creativity. I should have shot more on the kitchens, which are nice, and offer lots of open space, inviting people to stop and take a break. They have a couple lunch clubs that meet with various employees to make food and chat over lunch.

The canteen is also scheduled to start providing lunch for people soon. It was almost ready when I was there. Interestingly enough, no soda there. Lots of water, juice, coffee, and of course, tea.

Red Gate is hiring, and paying bonuses, so if you want to work in the UK, give them a ring, say Rachel referred you :D

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #654803
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:04 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:25 AM
Recently, I emailed photos of my work area to Steve for comparison. Per Steve's suggestion: Here's majority of the email...

"Steve Jones" wrote on 02/11/2009 09:06:50 AM: (Steve's comments marked by >)

> It’s a cube

I prefer the term cell.

> couple of my monitors (I use 3 LCDs) to get the portrait mode.

I love the portrait mode. I guess I have good eye sight. I run with Management studio set to 8pt fixed width font, on a (21" portrait) 1200x1600 resolution. That gives me just over 100 lines of code in a single page.
The other thing that I've learned over the past 20 years is to invert the colors. Color on Black background. I find it vastly easier to perceive the color on black, after all, the brain is only processing a positive input / stimulus, as opposed to trying to process the LACK of stimulus.

> Thanks for sharing. You can post these in the forum if you like as well.

I'll give it a try.

> I should probably post my environment, huh?

I agree.

-------------------------------------------------
And now for those pictures...

Honor Super Omnia-
Jason Miller

Post Attachments 
Photo_021109_001.jpg (32 views, 50.29 KB)
Photo_021109_002.jpg (24 views, 59.34 KB)
Photo_021109_003.jpg (25 views, 58.37 KB)
Post #654865
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:48 AM
I agree with the other posts. After working in one of these open environments there are drawbacks. It's a great idea in theory but in execution it has to be near perfect. It's very difficult to concentrate when there are no physical barriers to separate you from the rest of the world. Ad hoc meetings that take place adjacent to your work area, despite noise level, become visual distractions. Casual interruptions become more frequent and as a result a structured day starts to fall apart. Not all jobs flourish in a non structured manner.

If the office does not become a "collective" the unavoidable differences generate unnecessary stress. One persons clutter is stress for the neat freak and vice versa. A cube wall goes a long way to avoid such a simple conflict.

As the company grows the "collective" office space gets divided over and over again until employees begin to fight for what personal space they have left. Desks grow vertical barriers made out of house plants, stacks of files, and paper holders are attached to the sides of monitors. The personal workspace continues to close in on the employee and what once seemed like a great idea breeds a destructive culture.
Post #654889
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 9:46 AM
I work in a cubicle with some "windows" in the cubicle walls. It's enough privacy and enough light because of the "windows". I would hate to work in an open office such as you describe. I would not be able to concentrate. I can shut out the sound of people talking, but the idea of being constantly on display, or very visible would be unnerving. Also, holding ad hoc meetings on dev issues ususally involved looking at something on someone's dev box. That would not be available in those little conference rooms. If all the dev environment was thin client it would work OK I guess
Post #654977
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse