Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

How to become sql server dba Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:04 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:54 AM
Although SQL Server Express is free, I'd actually spend the $50.00 USD and purchase SQL Server Developers Edition, either 2005 or 2008, for use at home. It gives you all power of the Enterprise Edition, just not to be used in a production environment.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #653944
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:08 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:56 AM
I'd suggest you also read this article.....

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/61680/

SqlTimes Blog on Sql Server
Post #653953
Posted Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:17 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:43 AM
Hi Ghanashyam,
I am Venu , may i know why r u want to starting u r career as DBA? I am asking this bcoz i am fresher to IT field and having only an experience of 8 months in IT field, and my career is going to start as DBA only.Can u let me know what are the adds and odds in the DBA field ?

Thank for this.

Venu Gopal.K
Software Engineer
INDIA
Post #678332
Posted Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:28 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:43 PM
Jonathan Kehayias (2/10/2009)
I ask myself that same question sometimes. Usually at 2:30am when I am driving to the office to begin a maintenance task like installing SP3 on SQL 2005 because the only window for downtime is 3-5am for some server, and then 5am-7am for others. At that point the regular work day starts and I really begin to question why I do this.

Aside from those moments, I love my job.

VPN Worked for my all-nighter on Monday

Post #678536
Posted Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:58 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:03 AM
homebrew01 (3/18/2009)
Jonathan Kehayias (2/10/2009)
I ask myself that same question sometimes. Usually at 2:30am when I am driving to the office to begin a maintenance task like installing SP3 on SQL 2005 because the only window for downtime is 3-5am for some server, and then 5am-7am for others. At that point the regular work day starts and I really begin to question why I do this.

Aside from those moments, I love my job.

VPN Worked for my all-nighter on Monday

THANK G-D for VPN. Otherwise i'd never see the wife! {so maybe its not such a great invention}

Adam Zacks

-------------------------------------------

Be Nice, Or Leave
Post #678720
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:13 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:36 PM
Courses, I don't think there are many free courses and as Steve said i would not recommended them at this stage, I would as your DBA at work if you can sit down with them and get them to take you through the basics. Try this site below for some of the basics.

Good luck also I signed up with Robert Half who gave me a free books 24/7 account this is very good for sql books and free courses. I live in Japan however, So I am not sure if they do the same where your from.

http://sqlcourse.com/
Post #684168
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:18 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:05 PM
Hi Everyone

First of all Hats off to authors .This site is the best thing that had ever happended to me .I make it a point to read articles from the site everday without fail.There is abundant knowledge that we can grasp out of this.

Thanks for your suggestions ,articles and blogs .THIS SITE ROCKS !!

Cheers
Lakshmi Varanasi
Post #852691
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:37 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
I would suggest (as a dba with over 12 years experience) that you ask yourslef what about being a dba you wish to pursue

there are many facets to becoming a DBA - and the DBA role often has different meaning to different employers.

A DBA will never deal with just SQL server - but basically there are 2 "styles" of dba (ok there are many variations - but let's not over complicate things)

Production DBA
Development DBA

as a production DBA you will be more concerned with Backups, performance monitoring, communications, server design, replication, mirroring, clustering, snapshots, DR etc - in this role you will be required to liase with network technicians, SAN engineers, comms staff etc

as a development dba you will be looking at Table design, procedure optimisation, feature usage etc.
-in this role you will be required to liaise with developers, .net engineers and report writers.

there is a common element between the two roles, but look at what you prefer and then focus on improving your skills in the relevant area

MVDBA
Post #853645
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse