Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

A Deadlock Occurence and Resolution Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:06 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Deadlock Occurence and Resolution
Post #648621
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 5:03 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 8:27 AM
Very good article.

Markus Bohse
Post #648723
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:12 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, June 07, 2010 11:42 PM
Just a quick one - don't forget that SQL Server isn't the only source of deadlocks. I recently helped out on an issue where a single-threaded application DLL on one thread was blocked by a SQL Server lock, but at the same time, access to the application DLL from the locking process was also blocked. No deadlock victim, just timed-out queries and a lot of pain to the system's users.

Classic deadlock... but only one of the locks was within SQL Server. 1204 is great, but troubleshooting SQL Server deadlocks is simple compared with tracking down the problem I was helping to diagnose.

Post #648764
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:30 PM
Nice how-to article. But I wonder why Microsoft does not provide better support for deadlock situations. Hunting SQL server deadlocks is still like in the stone age days of programming ( in the above article even with non-documented features). Assumed SQL Server "knows" the reason, why not simply tell it?
Post #648842
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:32 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:21 PM
;) Nice article, thanks for sharing!
Post #648899
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:56 PM
Great article on investigating the deadlock. Just a note that if you're running SQL 2005/2008, the trace flag 1222 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178104.aspx) provides a lot more information so you don't have to do quite a much undocumented digging (though I found it very interesting).

Instead of the trace flag, I'd personally recommend setting up WMI to log the deadlock info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186385(SQL.90).aspx.
Post #648907
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:21 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:15 AM
sureshot (2/3/2009)
Great article on investigating the deadlock. Just a note that if you're running SQL 2005/2008, the trace flag 1222 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178104.aspx) provides a lot more information so you don't have to do quite a much undocumented digging (though I found it very interesting).

Instead of the trace flag, I'd personally recommend setting up WMI to log the deadlock info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186385(SQL.90).aspx.

The WMI alerts can actually be a bit more resource intensive and problemattic to setup. There are a number of more moving parts involved with the WMI alerts where as the Trace Flags or a SQL Trace has minimal configuration required. In the end, if you use Trace Flag 1222 in SQL Server 2005/2008, the deadlock graph is the same from WMI, SQL Trace, Profiler, and the Trace Flags.

SQL 2008 offers Extended Events, watch for an upcoming article that I have already submitted which capture deadlock information natively while your server is running. Watch out though, the deadlock information changed to a new format in SQL 2008 that is only output by Extended Events and only Extended Events can capture and display a multi-victim deadlock, which is why there was a change made to the deadlock graph formatting in 2008 from Extended Events.

As I mentioned yesterday, deadlocks aren't necessarily the problem. If your app is coded correctly it can handled the error raised and rerun the statement and it will most likely succeed on the second attempt.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
Post #649145
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:53 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:39 AM
SQL 101 - Always make sure your tables have indexes to avoid full table scans.

Looks as though the DBA and/or developers need a little coaching.
Post #649167
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:56 PM
Very interesting news about SQL 2008 and Extended Events. I'm looking forward to when we can upgrade our production servers to that.

For now the WMI deadlock system has provided a nice and easy to read history of deadlocks for us and we've hooked in an e-mail notification as well. CPU usage for WMI is roughly 2-3% on our box and we have capacity to spare so it's been worth it.
Post #649174
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:10 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:02 AM
SQL 2005 has xml deadlock report in profiler
which will track deadlock down to tables and stored procedure statements

I think your solution does not solve the deadlock - just makes it less likely

If the db+app had been designed correctly the omission of the index would have reduced performance but not created deadlocks

Post #649185
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse