Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Need strategy for disaster recovery Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 3, 2013 4:22 AM
I have production instances and the Disaster Recovery instances in different locations. When I try to implement log shipping, I realize that I cannot full backup of the databases. My database sizes are over 100 GB, so its not possible to transfer them fully daily over the network.

I need to configure log shipping, as well as I need to perform full backup of the databases daily. Is it possible by some way?
Post #647819
Posted Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:50 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:25 PM
Arun (2/1/2009)
When I try to implement log shipping, I realize that I cannot full backup of the databases. My database sizes are over 100 GB, so its not possible to transfer them fully daily over the network.

Log shipping just requires the full to be transferred once, after than, just the logs need to be shipped. There's no need to copy the full backup to the standby server daily.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #647830
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 1:47 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Yes, but actually I need to take backup of those log shipped databases daily, and take them to tape.

I cant take backups from the source server, because if I take, I need to tranfer it too to the disaster recovery server. It is not possible to be done daily because the DB size is over 100 GB, and the sites are different.

In the log shipped server, I cant take backups because it can be either in Recovering mode or in Standby mode.

Is there a workaroung for this issue?
Post #647854
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 2:50 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:17 PM
Hi,
Anyway you are going to configure log shipping which is already a DR then why again Full backup to DR location?
May be you can take full backup at local location and move it to tape and ship the tape to DR location which is what normal practice....

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc
Post #647878
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 3:28 AM
SSC Veteran

Sakthivel Chidambaram (2/2/2009)
Hi,
Anyway you are going to configure log shipping which is already a DR then why again Full backup to DR location?
May be you can take full backup at local location and move it to tape and ship the tape to DR location which is what normal practice....

Thanks for your suggestion. But actually my situation is like this.. I need to take full backups and TL backups daily in my production environment (not to the DR location), and it is often requred for restores.

Apart from this, we have a DR location, where the latest copy of production instance needs to be there incase the production goes down. For this when we configure log shipping, it contradicts with the backup plan in the production server. Thats the problem.
Post #647886
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 6:30 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Arun (2/2/2009)
For this when we configure log shipping, it contradicts with the backup plan in the production server. Thats the problem.

Why? There shouldn't be any problem. Take full backups daily and write them to tape, set up the log shipping so that it doesn't delete the tran log backups after they've been shipped, and then you can write them to tape.

I don't understand the problem that you seem to have.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #647965
Posted Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:19 AM
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (2/2/2009)

Why? There shouldn't be any problem. Take full backups daily and write them to tape, set up the log shipping so that it doesn't delete the tran log backups after they've been shipped, and then you can write them to tape.

Many thanks for your help, I got a clue from your statement. I am able to take full backup in my production server using the WITH COPY_ONLY option now. Also the log shipping is working fine.

Have a great day!! :)
Post #648599
Posted Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:18 AM

SSC-Forever

Arun (2/3/2009)
I am able to take full backup in my production server using the WITH COPY_ONLY option now. Also the log shipping is working fine.

The only time the COPY_ONLY option is necessary is if you are doing differential backups as without that a full backup will reset the differential base.

Full backups never break the log chain.

Are you doing differential backups?

Gail Shaw

Post #648819
Posted Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:38 AM
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (2/3/2009)
The only time the COPY_ONLY option is necessary is if you are doing differential backups as without that a full backup will reset the differential base.

Full backups never break the log chain.

Are you doing differential backups?

wow, thats great.. i didnt knew this

I was thinking that log shipping is just an automation of the normal transaction log backups and restores which we normally perform. but it didnt fail even after i took full backups, log backups and even diff backups in the source server. There is no need for COPY_ONLY

Now I dont have any issues. Am continuing my usual backup schedules (to tape) in my production server, and also using log shipping to the DR server.

Great, that i got the best advice from u. Thanks a lot for ur help :)
Post #649701
Posted Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:30 AM

SSC-Forever

Arun (2/4/2009)

I was thinking that log shipping is just an automation of the normal transaction log backups and restores which we normally perform. but it didnt fail even after i took full backups, log backups and even diff backups in the source server.

If you take a log backup and don't ship it, you will have a problem. No log backups past that point will restore, saying there are LSNs missing.

Gail Shaw

Post #650007
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse