Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Tool for DATA MODELLING Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:46 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:49 PM
Dear All,

Can anyone suggest me a good tool for DATA MODELLING pls...?
I have never used one. Thanks in advance.

Santhu.

Post #645637
Posted Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:32 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 8:41 AM
My absolute favorite is Embarcadero ERSTudio. Fantastic set of functionality.

CA offers another that's extremely popular ERWin. There are a couple of others available, but those are the two big ones.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #645911
Posted Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:50 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:12 PM
Embarcadero's ERStudio was a favourite of mine in the past.

I never really liked ERWin (even before CA bought it, and it's only gotten worse since then.) But some people swear by it.

I've been using Sybase PowerDesigner recently, and that seems to be okay.

For basic data modelling I use a white board and something like Visio. I already have Visio anyway, and I don't particularly need to do a lot of in-depth modelling. So you may want to consider just how much you need from your tool. If all you need to do is throw together some diagrams, then Visio may be enough.
Post #647753
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 1:12 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:44 PM
I use NotepadWithPencil Version A4 and Brain Version 1.0 (I believe) to start. Sometimes MS Visio is quite handy, specially if you have an existing database and you want to get an overview about existing tables and relations (not always works). If it really needs to be professional I prefer PowerDesigner. Check this link: http://www.sybase.com/products/modelingdevelopment/powerdesigner
Post #647841
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 12:30 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 11:43 PM
I have used both ERWin and Embarcadero ERStudio. I currently use ERStudio and I feel it offers a lot as compared to ERWin. One feature that i liked is it has a database capacity planning. I guess you can download a free trial of ERStudio and try for yourself a few days before you decide to buy.

Amol

Amol Naik
Post #648285
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 12:40 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:19 AM
I too have used ERStudio for years now. Good tool. It can get expensive, especially if you get cross-platform licenses. If you are sql server only they do (or used to) offer a much cheaper sql server only license.

Never having used a modelling tool, you may want to stick with visio though. ERStudio has a LOT of 'flexibility'. :)

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #648299
Posted Monday, February 2, 2009 9:20 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:41 AM
TOAD 3.0 tool is the best data designing tool .and another one is ER win data modeler.But my choice is TOAD 3.0.
Post #648558
Posted Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:20 PM

SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:12 PM
Heh. Nice to see someone who likes TOAD (I assume for SQL Server?) Personally I hate the product, but I know other people disagree. My issue with TOAD is that it tries to be a "jack of all trades" (and hence...) I have to admit I didn't even realise TOAD had a database design part, although it's been several years now since I had to use it, so it may have been a more recent addition.

I know a bunch of Oracle DBAs who are moving to SQL Server, and keep insisting that they need the SQL Server version of TOAD. I've been telling them to learn Management Studio instead. Perhaps I need to revisit that?
Post #649274
Posted Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:29 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:13 PM
If I'm doing something small, paper or Visio work well. If I need to manage and handle changes to a larger database, I prefer ERStudio over Erwin. Haven't used TOAD.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #649291
Posted Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:58 AM
I used Erwin never had issues with however currently I am addicted to SPARX(Enterprise Architect). It is a cool to use.
Post #649768
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse