Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Login failed for user with token-based server access validation error Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:58 PM
I had to add the user from the new domain to the local users group on the server in the old domain.
Post #704209
Posted Monday, April 27, 2009 1:19 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:12 AM
We never did resolve it. Our network department decreased the time between replication of the active directory but it never made a difference. We have just learned to live with the fact that it can take anywhere from a few seconds to 24 hours before a user can access a system if we aren't warned well in advance.

---------------------------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Post #704747
Posted Friday, May 1, 2009 7:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:14 PM
In case anyone got here by the same path I did. Migrating database servers from one box to another SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 I received this error after reattaching all my databases and trying to connect via deployed apps. Turns out I skipped a step - transferring the login information. This MS link worked like a charm http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/

Hope this helps.
Post #708841
Posted Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:38 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:12 AM
I Have this issue running SQL Server 2008 and this message was in the log:

"Login failed for user '%'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors"

I could not use any other login except by the login that was used to install SQL Server. So the solution was:

1) Login in the server with the same account used to setup SQL Sever.

2) Open management studio

3) Run -- GRANT CONTROL SERVER TO "my login" for each user that you want to grant rights in the server.

This worked for me.

Bye

Eduardo Pin
Post #752714
Posted Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:43 PM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
eduardo.pin (7/14/2009)
3) Run -- GRANT CONTROL SERVER TO "my login" for each user that you want to grant rights in the server.

We have seen this issue when a Windows user was a member of too many Windows group as it causes the token to be too big (known issue... you can either reduce the groups or modify the registry on every system to increase the acceptable token size). But in any case, you probably want to resolve the root cause of this issue. Granting CONTROL SERVER is the equivalent of making everyone a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #752948
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:32 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:29 AM
Deb Anderson (4/24/2009)
I am also having a very similar issue. Did this ever get resolved?

Go back and do a Run As login with the user that you originally set the SQL Server up with; add your new user and GRANT whatever permissions. Retry...should be gold.

Lee Everest

Post #779568
Posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:55 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:52 AM
Hey all,

Well, I'm having the same problem. The odd thing is though, is that it only happens for certain users (which are part of NT groups). Myself and many others whom are part of NT groups on this server, can connect without problem. Yet others, are having this problem. The only difference is that I have sysadmin, they do not. I have not yet tried a test case with a lower set of permissions but will do so tomorrow.

Curious though to as if this is really the only resolution thus far? I have seen many posts on this matter and I have seen this as a solution (to grant sysadmin) as well as the specific user is part of to many NT groups (not true).

I'm at a loss here. Never seen this. Unfortunately now I have to let some of these users/vendors use SQL security until I can resolve this.

* Just realized this is in SQL7/2000 forum ... I am on SQL2008/Windows2008. My gut is telling me it's something about UAC. Oh well, I'll leave this here for now and will re post where appropriate if no response is made.

Thanks all

---
SQLSlayer
Making SQL do what we want it to do.

Post #789349
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:48 PM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:33 AM
I had the same problem today, suddenly everyone that was coming trough a particular group to my SQL Server 2008 server (SP1 64 bit on Windows 2003 Sp2) stopped being able to login. If I added them individually it would work, but not something I am willing to do.... Had another group that was overlapping of users, actually more of a subset as this group is a member of the group that is failing, I added that group directly in SQL and they could login.

Now for the strange thing. The security from the group that failed to log them in seems to be applied to them, so only the login part fails. From this I take it I can most likely drop the group that is failing and recreate it, and I hope things will work....
Post #822020
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 5:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:31 AM
Hi ppl.

I had the same problem with state 11. I found that the builtin\administrator group was denied access to the server and this caused the login to fail for users that was part of the server admninistrators group (via domain policy or explicitly). I changed the administrators login to have public access and it seems to work fine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I see stupid people
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Post #825564
Posted Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:43 AM
Poster above musing about UAC is right. I was experiencing on Win2008 R2. When rt-clicking the SSMS shortcut and choosing "Run as Administrator", I sailed right in.
Post #847057
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse