Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Surface Possibilities Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Surface Possibilities

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #638830
Posted Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:00 PM
First, they've had such screens, admittedly with a bit less sophistication, as bar cash registers for years. It's just a different application of some old technology.

The other thing is, I've been telling people for years that they can point to something on my screen, but they better not touch it. I hate cleaning the finger prints! :P

Last but not least, I can see a whole new "repetative motion injury" coming out of this... put touch screens on the desktop and watch people start complaining about shoulder and neck pain from hold their arms up all the time. If they put it horizontal with the desk surface, watch them really start complaining about neck pain.

I think they already have it and I believe it's quite expensive... but I think the touchless "look" screens where you wear a special set of "glasses" that figure out where on the screen your eyeballs are pointing would really be cool. But that's all it would be is really cool. Try typing something that way.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #638844
Posted Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
I hadn't thought about the repetitive motion thing. I guess long term it could be, but for presentations, they're an hour or two. I wish I could have swiped at the projection screen last week during my talk at the local users' group

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #638935
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 5:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:16 AM
I can envision them being useful for specific types of applications, as long as a very expressive and intuitive gesture system is in place. Along the lines of the ipod, but far more sophisticated. I think applications would need to be almost entirely touch based to work, regularly switching input types would be disruptive. And I don't think it will go anywhere on desktops.

I was recently checking out some of the new HP home computers with touch and my first thought was cool. After a minute it changed to cool, but pointless. If you're using a desktop it's awkward at best to leave the keyboard and mouse to touch the screen. And then the screen is greater than an arms length away. So you probably won't unless there's a feature that you HAVE to use touch for, at which point you'll just be annoyed.
Post #639235
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 6:40 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:11 AM
I could see some uses in gaming. Playing a real time strategy game like Command and Conquer would benefit from something like this instead of dragging a mouse across the screen constantly. Maybe this technology will start out for presentations and gaming. Then we'll see what problems the early adopters come up with and someone will figure out a solution. Or this just won't work out.
Post #639281
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 7:22 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07 AM
Jeff Moden (1/17/2009)...put touch screens on the desktop and watch people start complaining about shoulder and neck pain from hold their arms up all the time.

Made me think of the Jetsons, how George would always complain "my button finger is killing me"

What DBAs need isn't a fancy touch screen interface, what they need are better software tools to do their job. While SQL Server 2005 exposed alot more information in counters and dynamic management views, at times it can be too much information, and difficult to determine what the problem is. This can especially be true if it looks like you're getting conflicting information from different parts of the system.
Post #639313
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 7:35 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:14 AM
eric.gunn (1/19/2009)
I was recently checking out some of the new HP home computers with touch and my first thought was cool. After a minute it changed to cool, but pointless. If you're using a desktop it's awkward at best to leave the keyboard and mouse to touch the screen.
I haven't seen these, but it sounds as though touch has simply been added to an existing interface (probably Windows). Ideally the interface should be designed with touch in mind from the start, then you don't need a mouse and the only reason for a keyboard is for extended text input. Ideally you should have either an on-screen touch keyboard or maybe some other virtual keyboard (like this?). Hence wouldn't leave the keyboard and mouse to touch the screen since you'd be using the screen all the time and might occaionally leave the screen to use the keyboard.

Of course, I'm reminded of the Apple Newton as a technology which was ahead of its time and failed to catch on, largely because people couldn't get past the learning curve, that is, when the machine learned your handwriting, and fell back to using on screen keyboards or gesture systems. Hence, the product didn't sell well and it took another 10 years before PDAs without hard keyboards started catching on.

I think large multi-touch screens won't catch on quickly if they are simply used with existing Windows tools instead of specific multi-touch applications. As mentioned, it all depends on what products appear and how useful they are. Presentations and graphic design tools are possible as is, of course, gaming, but anything with large amounts of text-based input will probably not benefit much.

Derek
Post #639327
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 8:57 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:23 PM
I WANT TO BUILD ONE!!!!!

http://nuigroup.com/

On that note, I've been making my own list of possible coffee-table computer applications:

- Photo Album (interactive digital picture frame-like app)
- Family scheduler (finally, a calendar where mom isn't the only one using it)
- Notes (refridgerators have gotten too nice to stick magnets and post-its on it anymore)
- Interactive TV Guide
- Music Library (my personal music collection is far too large to manage in the traditional MCE interface)
- Various game reproductions like Monopoly, Boggle, Solitare and, of course, Pong. (Really, gaming opportunities are wide-open)
Post #639377
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 9:17 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, March 27, 2009 7:26 AM
As a non-gui programmer, all I really need is a command line prompt - and maybe a few consoles/windows to flip between. I am not personally very fun and/or interactive, so I don't need such an interface. People don't come to my house to look at my pictures. And when I present things to my bosses, they doesn't understand me anyway - too many details. :P

Maybe you should be putting this kind of technology forum on your new site "SQL Server Business Professionals MBA/Project Managament Central.com"

Mia

I have come to the conclusion that the top man has one principle responsibility: to provide an atmosphere in which creative mavericks can do useful work.
-- David M. Ogilvy
Post #639388
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009 9:49 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:30 PM
What I want is the ability to throw windows. Grab the title bar flick the window and have it fly out of the way instead of having to drag it all the way out of the way. UltraMon kinda does this with the hotkeys but having the mouse be able to do it too would be nice...
Post #639410
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse