Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

SSIS and dealing with embedded double quotes Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:00 PM
Is there a way for SSIS to overlook embedded double quotes in the data so when I run my package and the "for each loop" gets executed and imports all the files in a folder into a table the columns wont shift because of the embedded double quotes?

I've read about the Undouble add-on that you download from the microsoft website but I have not had any luck with the installation so I couldn't test to see if it would work. I also tried using OPENROWSET command but anything after the column with a double quote would be NULL.

So basically, here's an example from the csv I'm working with:
"ID","Name","City","Age","Title"
1,"John "The Man, II" Doe","Gotham",30,"Villian"

There are no double quotes around 1 and 30 because those are numeric fields when they were extracted into a csv file. The city, age, and title are shift one or two columns over and the name would only be "John".

Does anyone have any ideas on a work around for this?
Post #638571
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 4:25 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:44 AM
Unfortunately SSIS in SQL 2005 and 2008 does not support embedded text qualifiers in CSV files.

Vote on it at Microsoft Connect.
https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=312164

One workaround is to read in a single line at a time, then parse each line in a Script component before going to the destination.
[Source] -> [Script Component] -> [Destination]

Post #638583
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:24 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:21 AM
<retracted>
Post #823977
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Yuk, nasty. Easiest solution: change the field delimiter character to something else in the source data.

Otherwise (and this may not work perfectly), you could consider running a replace routine on the source data before reading it using SSIS. Replace ," with ,| (or whatever your new delimiter is) and replace ", with |, and then use | as your delimiter.

I said that it may not work perfectly because
1) There may be some additional spaces in there - but you could code around that, and
2) Your embedded text could conceivably contain this combination of characters too.

Phil

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #823995
Posted Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:53 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:30 PM
Hello
i am running into a similar problem with the embedded double quotes.
I tried using the redirect row on error to just skip those rows with the double quotes.

I have not gotten it to work. Does anyone know of a way to just skip over that row and keep processing?
Post #1075293
Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:45 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Other than the ideas put forward by myself and Todd, I know of no way forward for you.

There is nowhere in the system where you can set a flag: "Skip rows that cannot be parsed" or whatever.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1075356
Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:55 AM
natarshia.peck (3/8/2011)
Hello
I tried using the redirect row on error to just skip those rows with the double quotes.

I have not gotten it to work. Does anyone know of a way to just skip over that row and keep processing?

How exactly is this causing troubles?
For testing purposes, I loaded a flat file with embedded double quotes into SSIS 2008 and it imports just fine.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1075401
Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:02 AM

SSCertifiable

Koen Verbeeck (3/9/2011)
Hello

For testing purposes, I loaded a flat file with embedded double quotes into SSIS 2008 and it imports just fine.

Really - even though you specified " as the text-field delimiter?

Post #1075403
Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:11 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:55 AM
Phil Parkin (3/9/2011)
Koen Verbeeck (3/9/2011)
Hello

Really - even though you specified " as the text-field delimiter?

Yes. But then I did some more testing, and it starts to screw up when there are double quotes AND commas in one string.
Conclusion: use another delimiter for god's sake. The comma is one of the most used punctuation marks in strings. Use a pipe | as a delimiter, because who uses that symbol in a normal sentence? 99% of your problems will go away.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1075409
Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:31 AM

SSCertifiable

That's a message I always try to get across. The fact that the files are usually called 'Comma Separated' is not helping the cause one bit and I think we have an uphill struggle.

Good work with the testing by the way. Not got much work to do today?

Post #1075414
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse