Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The Basics of Sizing a SQL Server Database Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 7, 2007 2:34 PM
...and why did this thing show up in my inbox today as if it was a fresh article???  You mean to tell me that given a full year, they had to recycle the SAME non-article??? 
Post #379333
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:00 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 29, 2012 9:48 PM
I have a question regarding the script provided at
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/usp_databases.txt

How is this different from running the sp_helpdb procedure which, among other things, returns the sizes of all the databases?

Thanks.

Alin
Post #379803
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:47 AM
You might be interested in "Mathematical Server Sizing" software, freely available on SourceForge. Here's a link.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=mathematical+server+sizing

Be sure and check out the documentation with this project. It describes some sample sizings. For a formal description of the math involved, see IEEE "Computer", July 2006 issue.

Good luck!

Post #505288
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 3:31 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08 AM
i could'nt download the storedproc.

"Keep Trying"
Post #544934
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 4:06 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
I couldn't find the sproc either...

Article was high-level, and give a real-world view (easier to use the tools than try and tackle it manually). Thought it was good- maybe could have a bit more meat about sizing db's or some general advice (try to make them big enough to start so they dont expand when you're not expecting it etc.)
Post #544955
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 4:37 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:15 AM
Sorry I could not learn much from this article. If atleast he could discuss some features of the products he mentioned in the article elaborately, then it would have been fine.

Post #544974
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 5:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:04 AM
This was a year old??? SEVEN years more like !!!!!! It arrived in my inbox 8/1/08 !!!

Nice article, informative - if you wish to purchase third-party software (though a good point made concerning how easy it is to miscalculate the true size of databases by hand).
I would ask though: Where was the monitoring after deployment part of the article?
The opening paragraph appeared to promise a little more than the content delivered, but still a very interesting read, though there was no attached SProc to download/view.

Tony (Dev)
Post #545009
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 7:23 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:41 AM
Like many others have already mentioned: nice try, no substance, 7 years old. When you publish an article, please check your grammar. A few mistakes here and there for non-native speakers are OK. For a native speaker who teaches others you ought to do better.

Keep trying. Thanks for the effort you put into it 7 years ago.
Post #545112
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 8:55 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
We re-run older, popular articles at times. With nearly 200,000 people joining the site in the last year, it's not "old" to them, it's likely the first time they saw it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #545212
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 12:17 PM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:26 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/1/2008)
We re-run older, popular articles at times. With nearly 200,000 people joining the site in the last year, it's not "old" to them, it's likely the first time they saw it.

having read many posts from those who commented with 'disappointment' or harsher responses, my take is that this is a very good 'lite' article to help newbies get their feet wet. No newbies seemed to comment, which is consistent with newbie behavior - after you read all the 'old-timer' comments, it can get intimidating, unless you have a pressing need or specific question.

I'm disappointed that the link at the end seems to point to Brian's personal bookmarks, rather than to the actual stored procedure source.

To Steve Jones: If this is a 'rerun' of an old article, was it updated or simply reprinted? Some of the content could have been revised since then, OR perhaps the links for the subsequent articles for those of us who can't wait for the sequel articles?

I was not aware of some of these features being available in ERwin in 2001 - again, the dating is confusing if the article has been revised and brought current.
Post #545374
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse