Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

SQL Server 2008 and Data Compression Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server 2008 and Data Compression

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net
Post #631186
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:10 PM
Thank you for your article. I'd like to know if anyone uses synonyms that point to a different database. I was thinking about moving all of my 'Fact' tables from the general database into a separate database and creating synonyms that point from the general database to the tables in the 'Fact' database. My rationale for this is that I could easily separate and manage the 'Master' tables from the 'Fact' tables and then I could set up the 'Fact' database with compression and leave the general database intact. Has anyone else done anything like this and if so what were your results?
Post #631455
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:52 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51 AM
compression works at the "table" level why would you care to move it out of the database?

* Noel
Post #631472
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:10 PM
Good point. I was thinking it was at the database level. I have other reasons for moving it into a separate database but it appears that compression is irrelevant. Thanks.
Post #631504
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:26 AM
It doesn't make sense to move fact tables out. As mentioned above, compression works at the table level, and also at the index level. You can compress a table and not the indexes, or vice versa, or compress both.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #631505
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:04 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:10 PM
hm, good .sql, but is biggest, rsrs i'm never look one this...
because i'm amateur, rsrs
Post #631567
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:24 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:01 AM
Good article. It was helpful to know about the allocation units. I am in the process of designing a data mart type application DB where we'll be storing billions of rows in some of our fact tables. I have been looking forward to testing out the performance benefits of data compression. Your timing for this article could not have been better. Thanks for sharing.....

John Rowan

======================================================
======================================================
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
Post #631595
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:32 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:29 PM
The performance benefits and the space savings. I've always found it difficult to get additional storage on our SAN, so compression gives me a lot more leeway from a time perspective to get the disk space I need.

One of the things I neglected to mention was that compressed tables are still compressed further as a part of the SQL Server 2008 compressed backup (or third party backup solution), so your backups could actually be an order of magnitude than what they are currently. This is especially useful when you need to refresh development or test environments from those backups (provided that your dev and test are running a SQL Server edition that supports compression).

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net
Post #631603
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:15 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:46 AM
Nice article...:)

Post #631644
Posted Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:47 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:37 PM
Great article and I especially like all the links to the references. A good follow-up article might be on how compression improves the performance of applications because more data can reside in buffers in memory instead of disk. Microsoft claims data warehouse performance can be increased by up to 40% due to less disk I/O. See the page compression sections of these articles:

Scaling Up Your Data Warehouse with SQL Server 2008

Best Practices for Data Warehousing with SQL Server 2008

Post #632658
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse