Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Loading Data With Powershell Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:35 AM
Great thanks that works now - I'm having trouble getting sqlcmd to work correctly so I've started looking at BCP.exe

I've managed to rewrite your script so that my wmi results are output to a .xls file
Does anyone know the BCP command to get a local xls file loaded into a remote sql table?

I can manage to get the command working if I copy the data out of the .xls and into a .txt:

db = TEST
table = LogMemory
server = lonwintel01

This bcp command works for .txt file - does anyone know the correct switches for a .xls file:

bcp TEST..LogMemory in "c:\ps\scripts\import.txt" -S lonwintel01 -T

Post #636100
Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:15 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:01 AM
NevJam (1/14/2009)
Great thanks that works now - I'm having trouble getting sqlcmd to work correctly so I've started looking at BCP.exe

I've managed to rewrite your script so that my wmi results are output to a .xls file
Does anyone know the BCP command to get a local xls file loaded into a remote sql table?

I can manage to get the command working if I copy the data out of the .xls and into a .txt:

db = TEST
table = LogMemory
server = lonwintel01

This bcp command works for .txt file - does anyone know the correct switches for a .xls file:

bcp TEST..LogMemory in "c:\ps\scripts\import.txt" -S lonwintel01 -T

BCP does not work with Excel files. Keep in mind the T-SQL shown in the article for sqlcmd could have been executed with Query Analyzer, SSMS or osql instead of sqlcmd

BULK INSERT dbautility.dbo.DiskUsage FROM 'C:\Users\u00\bin\diskusage.csv'
WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = ',', ROWTERMINATOR = ''

You can use DTS or SSIS with Excel files.

Post #636170
Posted Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:33 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Blogged about Executing Powershell in SQL Server . Using the technique described in the blog post you have a fourth method to load Powershell data into SQL Server. The approach uses xp_cmdshell and XQUERY to return the result set.

Post #704455
Posted Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:48 PM
SSC Veteran

Created a Powershell script to import Excel 2007 or 2003 to a SQL table, Import-ExcelToSQL

Post #704645
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 4:48 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:32 AM
cmille19 (1/8/2009)
There are some extra returns in the code in the article. Try this instead (notice the line breaks are different):

param ( [string]$ComputerName = "." )

Get-WmiObject -computername "$ComputerName" Win32_LogicalDisk -filter "DriveType=3" |
foreach { add-member -in $_ -membertype noteproperty UsageDT $((Get-Date).ToString("yyyy-MM-dd"))
add-member -in $_ -membertype noteproperty SizeGB $([math]::round(($_.Size/1GB),2))
add-member -in $_ -membertype noteproperty FreeGB $([math]::round(($_.FreeSpace/1GB),2))
add-member -in $_ -membertype noteproperty PercentFree $([math]::round((([float]$_.FreeSpace/[float]$_.Size) * 100),2)) -passThru } |
Select UsageDT, SystemName, DeviceID, VolumeName, SizeGB, FreeGB, PercentFree

Thanks...though its so silly this article is still not updated, to get a 5 start rating known issue should have been fixed and a full set of files should have been attached for anyone to try quickly...

So i am able to export, lets see how does import do...

Prakash

Prakash Heda
Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA
Post #865785
Posted Friday, May 20, 2011 1:55 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:33 AM
Is there anyway to append the csv file instead of overwriting its contents?
Post #1112718
Posted Friday, May 20, 2011 2:35 PM
SSC Veteran

If you mean keep appending output to a CSV file, the export-csv cmdlet doesn't directly support this, however you could use the convertto-csv cmdlt and remove the header row as follows:

get-psdrive | export-csv ./psdrives.csv -NoTypeInformation
get-psdrive | ConvertTo-Csv -NoTypeInformation |
foreach {$start=$true} {if ($start) {$start=$false} else {$_}} |
Out-File .\psdrives.csv -Append -Encoding ASCII

The code snippet above is based on a more complete solution described by Dmitry Sotnikov:
[url=http://dmitrysotnikov.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/export-csv-append/][/url]

Post #1112739
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:33 AM
thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at that broader solution for that snippet. I actually got it working by saving my outgoing data into a variable, importing the contents of the csv file into another variable and appending the two together. My powershell scripting is quite novice so if you see any issues with this let me know :)

Here is the code I used:

$Temp = Get-SqlData $srcServer 'master' $qry
$Last = import-csv "C:\filename.csv"
$out = $Temp + $Last | export-csv -noTypeInformation -path "C:\filename.csv"

Post #1112884
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:20 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 2:13 AM
@SSC Veteran : Thanks . Its working now by using the above commands
Post #1443107
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:35 AM
jcrawf02 (12/16/2008)
corey lawson (12/15/2008)
That's a good article, except for a couple of things.

Why do people still literally use commas as field separators (unless they have to, because the tool/function/utility doesn't support anything else)? Gaaaahhh! The example even uses the field separator parameter...

And, well, it's PowerShell. I'd rather do this stuff in INTERCAL, but to each their own...

Of course, BCP does this stuff as well...
In search of enlightenment, what should we be using as field separators?

How about it, Corey? What do you people should be using?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1443544
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse