Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Identifier Columns Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:49 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:06 AM
I find working with GUIDs very cumbersome and in the application that I inherented at my company, I haven't seen any advantage of using them, normal "int with identity(1, 1) not null" would have fit the bill perfectly.

I found this article explaining a bit on the purpose and origin of the GUID:
[url=http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/10167][/url]

One has to consider the purpose and functionality of the application and the network environment it will be deployed on to determine either using GUIDs or Ints as primary keys?
(I'm probably not mentioning half of the things to look at in making such a decision...)

So I think it's going to be a case by case evaluation to find the best solution.
Post #618385
Posted Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:04 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 11:20 AM
I got this question right. But, it had a POORLY WORDED answer. You do NOT ask a question and then pose a "true/false" answer. You make a STATEMENT and then pose a "true/false" confirmation. Goodness, folks. If you are asking a question, please use "yes/no". Thank you.

Post #621984
Posted Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:00 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
I have stopped caring about getting poorly worded version ambigous questions wrong.
If anyone complain about it some users get all Hatefull like they own the place.
What a waste.
Post #1164019
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse