Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Delete Backup Files Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2008 10:27 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to delete files from within a .bak file.

I am using SQL 2005 Standard Edition SP2.

If I right click on a database and select Tasks --> Restore --> Files and Filegroups, I can see many files and filesgroups here. I want to delete the older files and filegroups from this list as I don't need them any longer. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Post #615610
Posted Monday, December 8, 2008 9:22 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 6:27 PM
Go into File-Explorer and then delete them, but be absolutely sure you don't need them first.

Or Setup a maintanence plan to automaticaly delete the older backups based on file age.
Post #615623
Posted Monday, December 8, 2008 9:42 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:11 PM
There are not files within a .Bak file. There might be multiple backups stored within one file, but you cannot delete some of them now. You should back up to a new file every day, not reuse the same file or store multiple backups inside one file.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #615637
Posted Monday, December 8, 2008 10:29 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2008 10:27 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (12/8/2008)
There are not files within a .Bak file. There might be multiple backups stored within one file, but you cannot delete some of them now. You should back up to a new file every day, not reuse the same file or store multiple backups inside one file.

This is exactly my scenario - thanks, I'll reset backups so that jobs go to a new file. Looks like I have no option other than to delete the old .bak files as they are growing and growing.

Many thanks, Steve.
Post #615677
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse