Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Free Tools for the SQL Server DBA Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:30 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 6:34 AM
NICE!

* Noel
Post #613957
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:17 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM
Two great articles with handy tools. I happen to be looking for a disk partitioning tool (cheap but not Partition Magic since I can't find a "server" version) that will work with RAID hd configurations on a 64-bit engineered SQL 2005 running Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit. I have C: drive and D: drive in a RAID 1 set up and am out of space on C: but with bunches of space on the D: drive (using 73GIG drives.) Has anyone found an inexpensive tool to work with 'server' environments, especially 64-bit ones? Thanks. JT Nelson
Post #614046
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:44 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:26 AM
nelsonj (12/4/2008)
Two great articles with handy tools. I happen to be looking for a disk partitioning tool (cheap but not Partition Magic since I can't find a "server" version) that will work with RAID hd configurations on a 64-bit engineered SQL 2005 running Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit. I have C: drive and D: drive in a RAID 1 set up and am out of space on C: but with bunches of space on the D: drive (using 73GIG drives.) Has anyone found an inexpensive tool to work with 'server' environments, especially 64-bit ones? Thanks. JT Nelson

I agree, Partition Manager server version seemed to stop at 4.0? and Windows 2000

Acronis Disk Director ($499 for server, not cheap. $50 for Home)
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/comparison.html

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #614074
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
Links in the article have been corrected.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #614189
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:11 AM
Simple SQL Backup (www.simplesql.net) is a great way for backing up and restoring simple databases. It also has a nice MOVE button to move a database. Best for SQL Express or for users that are not SQL Admins.

Post #614229
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:57 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:06 PM
Thanks for this list. Very handy info :)

Another free tool is SQL# (SQLsharp). SQL# is a CLR-based suite of over 120 Stored Procedures, User-Defined Functions, User-Defined Types, and User-Defined Aggregates. The vast majority of the functionality is free. The Paid-For (Full) version includes File System and Internet related functions. The suite works in SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008. The goal of this project is to enable the SQL developer to have a more powerful language than regular T-SQL provides. Enjoy.

http://www.SQLsharp.com/

SQL# - http://www.SQLsharp.com/
Post #614240
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:51 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08 AM
thanks for the list.

"Keep Trying"
Post #614282
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:07 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:52 PM
Great article. More than deciding what to put in the list itself, I appreciated that you gave enough of a description of each product that I could tell you had actually looked at it. And I could use the description to decide if the product was worth investigating further or not.

Jerry: I too miss Speed Ferret a great deal! I only used it for MS Access, but it no longer works correctly on the version of MS Access that I use. I'd love to know of a replacement. I found something at one point, but it was not as full-featured and felt, I don't know the term, but "likely to not do it's job correctly" is the gist of my concern. If I'm going to do a search and replace on an important application, I want to know it is a reliable, stable product that has all the features I need. Thanks for your post. Glad to know I'm not the only one missing it, even if for different reasons.
Post #618070
Posted Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, April 19, 2009 6:13 PM
openDBA http://www.opendba.info is an open source web based DBA Tool for SQL Server. Works with 2000 and 2005 versions.

The basic idea is to provide a dashboard style interface to the DBA for monitoring of common things such as Server Disk Space, Database Sizes, SQL Agent Jobs, and the description of Tables, Stored Procedures and so on.

The good thing is that openDBA provides real-time information specially the critical events such as over use of CPU or Memory and the failure of SQL Agent Jobs.

Graphical Bar Chart for Disk Space is a wonderful tool for a Bird-eye View to monitor Disk Space on Server.

The web based application is ASP based and the instructions for setup can be found in Setup.htm in the root folder.
Post #621017
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 4:16 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:27 AM
We have used MS log parser in a production environment for processing weblogs for a fairly prominent website (around 30-40GB worth of logs daily) and it worked great (for the most part). Thank you for the comprehensive list of valuable tools.

Post #626055
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse