Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

The Date Dimension in Analysis Services Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 12:38 PM
I found this article interesting. I feel like we have our Date dimension dialed, but it's always worth reading an article from someone that knows what they're talking about. And sure enough I found some interesting ideas.

Now, a question for you and for the people hopefully tracking the posts: what's your solution for reusing the code if you end up doing multiple DSV statements or Views? Do you just rebuild the Date Dimension from scratch each time? Do you copy and past the existing Date.dim file and search and replace? How do you maintain that code going forward? I ask partly because I would like to embrace the different date ranges (we have some Facts with 35 years of data, and others with only 1 or 2, for example) but don't really want to maintain 4 different date dimensions.

Please post thoughts!

Cheers,
Rick

Rick Todd
Post #611419
Posted Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:53 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 12:56 AM
Hi Rick, I create the date dimension from scratch. I never modified the SSAS project files directly (except for a few rare cases), I always use BIDS* to edit/create the SSAS objects. In the current project I put all the DSV queries in an SSMS project and version control it in VSS, in the same solution folder as the SSAS project.

Kind regards,
Vincent

*Occasionally I use AMO.
Post #612027
Posted Friday, February 6, 2009 3:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:31 PM
Hi. This article is great. I was just wondering when part 2 might be available. I'm interested in all of the topics listed, but especially the part on "Enabling users to select a date (or month) to be used in calculated measure using 'from date' and 'to date'." Thanks.
Post #652042
Posted Friday, February 6, 2009 11:49 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi erin, I sent part 2 on 31st December so hopefully it would be published soon.
Vincent
Post #652137
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009 7:47 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:08 AM
Thanks and that’s a good article but I have a question though.

I have 2 dimensions stored in the same SQL table (data mart).

Data for my date dimension is stored for 2 cycles. Both cycles have a 12 month period. The first cycle is from January to December and the other cycle is from April to March.

One row is used to store both cycles in the table.

See below for my dimensionTimeTable:

DateSeq CalendarDate Yr1 Yr2 Monthname1 Yr1MonthNr Yr2MonthNr Yr1QNr Yr2QNr
20090301 2009-03-01 2009 2008 March 03 12 01 04
20090331 2009-03-31 2009 2008 March 03 12 01 04
20090401 2009-04-01 2009 2009 April 04 01 02 01

I have one time dimensions in the cube with two hierarchies. They are both represented in two hierarchies with each hierarchy representing time cycles mentioned above.

My problem is that cycle one works fine while measuring anything but cycle2 only measures the current month and does not show any values for previous months.

Your help regarding above will be appreciated.

My problem is that

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
Post #808696
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009 9:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:20 PM
duda (10/26/2009)
Thanks and that’s a good article but I have a question though.

I have 2 dimensions stored in the same SQL table (data mart).

Data for my date dimension is stored for 2 cycles. Both cycles have a 12 month period. The first cycle is from January to December and the other cycle is from April to March.

One row is used to store both cycles in the table.

See below for my dimensionTimeTable:

DateSeq CalendarDate Yr1 Yr2 Monthname1 Yr1MonthNr Yr2MonthNr Yr1QNr Yr2QNr
20090301 2009-03-01 2009 2008 March 03 12 01 04
20090331 2009-03-31 2009 2008 March 03 12 01 04
20090401 2009-04-01 2009 2009 April 04 01 02 01

I have one time dimensions in the cube with two hierarchies. They are both represented in two hierarchies with each hierarchy representing time cycles mentioned above.

My problem is that cycle one works fine while measuring anything but cycle2 only measures the current month and does not show any values for previous months.

Your help regarding above will be appreciated.

My problem is that

What are you trying to do? Calendar Year Dimension and Fiscal Year Dimension? Those are some big leaps in there (2009-03-01 to 2009-03-31, ...) Usually with a date dimension you want to include all days in your possible range of dates. I guess I'm having a hard time deciphering what you're doing here...
Post #808811
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009 12:23 PM

SSC Journeyman

Hi Duda, if cycle1 attributes work but but cycle2 attributes don't, please check the attribute relationships of between cycle2 attributes in the cycle2 hierarchy, especially the relationship from Year2MonthNumber to the key attribute. Do you make DateSeq column as the key attribute, or is it CalendarDate column?

Hi Mike, I think the 3 dimension rows that Duda quoted are not sequential rows. He only illustrated the sample values of the date dimension table. Yes I agree it looks like April to March is his financial calendar.

Vincent
Post #808903
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:32 AM
Ten Centuries

Hi Mike,

Vincent is correct, the mentioned data is not sequential but sample data. As I said cycle1 is from the first of January to the 31st of December and cycle2 is from the 01st of April to the 31st of March.

Hope above makes sense.

Vincent I am double checking relaionships and yes the DateSeq column is the key attribute.

Ta,
duda

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
Post #809123
Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:04 AM
Ten Centuries

I cannot seem to find what the issue is with the relationships nor the properties of the non-working dimension. I have decided to re-create the time dimension. Instead of creating two hierarchies within one dimension I created two dimensions, one with a cycle from Jan to Dec and another one from April to March.

This worked on a small solution created but when implementing on the main project the cube processing fails with the following error.

MDXScript(Cube Name) (,14) The dimension ‘[LAST MONTH WITH DATA]’ was not found in the cube when the string, [LAST MONTH WITH DATA], was parsed.

MDXScript(Cube Name), (735, 25) The hierarchy ‘[YearQuarterMonthDay]’ was not found in the cube when the string, [Date].[yearQuarterMonthDay].[Day and Month and Year], was parsed.

I know that [LAST MONTH WITH DATA] is a calculated measure. Is there anything that I am missing here?

Post #816373
Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:25 AM

SSC Journeyman

Hi,
the 2 error messages indicate that the calculated measure(s) are incorrectly written.

MDXScript(Cube Name) (,14) The dimension ‘[LAST MONTH WITH DATA]’ was not found in the cube when the string, [LAST MONTH WITH DATA], was parsed.
As Chris Webb showed as an example when writting about the single quote, the "dimension was not found" message usually occurs when we put something (not a proper MDX expression) in the calculated measure, something like "with member measures.X as [here we go]" then SSAS would response with "The dimension [here we go] was not found in the cube when the string [here we go] was parsed". Alternatively it could also means what it says, i.e. that dimension is not in the cube (incorrect name perhaps?)

MDXScript(Cube Name), (735, 25) The hierarchy ‘[YearQuarterMonthDay]’ was not found in the cube when the string, [Date].[yearQuarterMonthDay].[Day and Month and Year], was parsed.
Check Date dimension, see if you have an attribute (or a hierarchy) called [YearQuarterMonthDay].

HTH,
Vincent
Post #816413
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse