Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

The Ebb and Flow of Community Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:42 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:30 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Ebb and Flow of Community

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #609530
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:42 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:34 PM
I have to agree with Phil. When I first started visiting this site, I mostly read, but did post a few questions here and there. But what I found out is that I am passionate about what I do professionally, and that has driven me to be more active on this site. And I believe that is the same for the other "heavy hitters" on this site.

Passion for thier profession, and a desire to help others to be as passionate for thiers. As you learn more about how to use SQL Server to its full potential, the more engaged you become in both your career (profession) and its community.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #609537
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:43 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:51 PM
I agree with Phil and Lynn. I started out as a reader/learner and as I read more posts and realized I could help I did. Now I do it because I want people to understand how and why SQL Server works the way it does, why I think it is a great product, and why there is always a reason to do things the best way.

Another natural outflow of participation in the forums is the desire to contribute to the community via articles, scripts, and editorials. Many times these flow from seeing the same questions/errors over and over so you KNOW there is a misunderstanding of the issue and want to help correct that.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #609776
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:42 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
I started posting on this forum because I wanted to improve my own SQL skills, and trying to figure out other people's problems seemed like a good way to do that.

I think it worked.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #609817
Posted Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:20 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:00 PM
Hi Guys

If you have any idea in this issue, Please give some tips onthis..and detailed process

1. how to pass parameter values dynamically into lastperiods() in MDX 2005

i did like this:

1. dataset1 with lastperiod() static values
for this statics i used MDX LastPeriods(5,[Time].[Fiscal].[Fiscal Year].&[2009].&[2])
2. dataset2 with main query values..

Reuirement:

when i pick the year and qtr values dynamically from parameters ...those year and qtr values to pass to lastperiod(), then accroding that values need to find out last periods()..

Please give the me directions to solve this issue

Thanks in Advance.
SR
Post #610097
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 12:18 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
lrams99 (11/27/2008)
Hi Guys

If you have any idea in this issue, Please give some tips onthis..and detailed process

Please post a new thread with your question and don't hijack a completely unrelated discussion.
Thanks

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #610117
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 1:07 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
You know, I work for a sole proprietor and am the only employee so, it's only me and my boss. I hardly ever see him because I am always out helping the clients and where I go I am the only programmer so I don't have someone to talk to whenever I had some great solutions or successes in SQL or other programming platforms. Even no one in my family is in IT exept for one brother whom I hardly ever see. What I'm trying to say is SCC is a place where I can share my successes by writing posts or articles and I gives me great pleasure. I enjoy reading and posting here.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #610133
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 1:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:22 AM
As one of those "wallflowers" I have to agree with Phil. I have enjoyed reading the newsletter and various articles for over 5 years, but only answered about 3 user problems (usually because someone gets there before me on the ones I can answer!). I also really enjoy the non SQL editorials, they help me avoid becoming narrowminded.

Keep up the good work SSC, you certainly make my world a better place.

iain

Regards,

Iain
Post #610141
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 2:03 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 6:55 AM
I agree with all the wonderful things said about SSC.. it could not be more true.

How ever i hv seen a couple of wall flowers who joined long time back, posted/answered a couple of questions and then whoop disappeared.!!! . It bothers me a bit when some people try to use this site to get their homework done or ask questions without themselves trying a bit (especially interview questions) .

All said and done SSC ROCKS...

"Keep Trying"
Post #610152
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 2:23 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:20 AM
Wow being 1 of 20,000 out of 925,000 out of 6 Billion makes me feel special :D

I just love this forum - partly for the comedy, and the remainder for the good advice and being able to interact with you guys directly. ;)

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #610166
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse