Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

random integer number scalar function Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:33 PM
Dang... I missed that... was looking at the wrong column for "dupes".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #610612
Posted Friday, November 28, 2008 6:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Chris, I've created a Numbers table with the same column name as you (Number), and I cannot get the code to fail the same way as you have with the dupes and all.

What version of SQL Server do you have and are you using either QA or SMS for the interface? I've seen the Oracle version of TOAD produce such things, but never QA or SMS. Also, single or multi CPU on your box?

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #610613
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:24 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:43 AM
Jeff Moden (11/28/2008)
Chris, I've created a Numbers table with the same column name as you (Number), and I cannot get the code to fail the same way as you have with the dupes and all.

What version of SQL Server do you have and are you using either QA or SMS for the interface? I've seen the Oracle version of TOAD produce such things, but never QA or SMS. Also, single or multi CPU on your box?

It doesn't happen on the 2k5 box, only on the 2k box queried from either QA or SMS. Version is 8.00.760 (SP3) and it's dual-processor.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #610664
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I've not seen such a thing... perhaps try using MaxDop 1 just to see if parallelism is getting to it? I'd try it on a multi-processor box if I had access to one, but I don't so I can't hammer it out on this end. Sorry.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #610693
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:04 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Huhn, the bug happens on my last remaining SQL 2000 server also. MAXDOP has no effect on it.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #610707
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

rbarryyoung (11/29/2008)
Huhn, the bug happens on my last remaining SQL 2000 server also. MAXDOP has no effect on it.

Is it a multi CPU box you're working on? Also, which SP are you guys using? I'm using sp3A... never had the hair to go to 4 because I heard about some performance issues.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #610708
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Heh... well never mind... all of the sudden, I'm getting the same bug and I only have a single CPU...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #610709
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Isn't that strange? It's the GROUP BY loosing it's mind and it doesn't happen in 2k5. Not sure what to do about it yet.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #610710
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

The only thing that I can figure out is that the optimizer in 2k5 resolves the sub-query before using it... the one in 2k seems to be trying to resolve it on the fly and makes mistakes because Number is indeterminate. I've never run into this problem before because I've either always put such things into a Temp table first or simply not done a Group By on the random number.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #610742
Posted Friday, December 12, 2008 6:38 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:42 PM
Great timing Chris, I was just looking for something that would allow me to generate random numbers.

Jeff, based on your code for random test data, I had been playing with newid() and now I took another look at the checksum().

Question:

What I'm trying to do is show folks how to generate test data that we (corporate we) can share across state units, without revealing HIPAA protected information (member names/ids/dates of service, etc). If I do this to generate fake names and dates:
SELECT TOP 10 member.fullname,
'member'+convert(varchar(25),abs(checksum(member.fullname))) AS testMember,
member.dob,
dateadd(dd,abs(checksum(member.dob))%(5-1+1) +1,member.dob) AS testDate
FROM member

can someone reverse the checksum somehow and read the correct data?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #618545
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse