Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Server Options to Avoid - SQL School Video Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:01 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Options to Avoid - SQL School Video

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Post #608973
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 12:08 PM
Go ahead and set your two terabyte database to autogrow by 10% and enjoy the wonderful performance this video suggests (as you look for a new job)...I dare you.

Or do something sane and calculate the maximum amount of wait time your users are willing to tolerate, determine the amount of space Sql Server can initialize in that time, and set the value appropriately.
Post #630564
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:56 AM
Great Brian,

I'm a student right now and these tips and advices of yours are very usefull.

Thanks!
Post #630566
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:56 AM
mark (1/6/2009)
Go ahead and set your two terabyte database to autogrow by 10% and enjoy the wonderful performance this video suggests (as you look for a new job)...I dare you.

Or do something sane and calculate the maximum amount of wait time your users are willing to tolerate, determine the amount of space Sql Server can initialize in that time, and set the value appropriately.

Oh Mark, If it is situation of 2 TB size database, that would be probably partitionated on 5-10 HDD... I think that Brian stated that it depends on the case, and the 10% was just an example. Man should think a little bit before. If I have a database with grow of 5-7% I´ll put 10%, but if it is much less, maybe is better to do that manually.

Planing is also important.
Post #630573
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:39 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:54 AM
mark (1/6/2009)

Or, better yet, monitor the free space and growth of the DB and grow it manually during maintenance time before the auto-grow kicks in.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #630577
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:01 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:57 AM
No sp_configure talk?

Should I turn parallelism on or off hahahha!!!

Are we just Gui's these days?

Brian your voice sounds different in person.

Loved the Analysis service class last April.

T

Post #630596
Posted Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:23 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:43 PM
Hi Brian,

I click the play to watch the vid and get "welcome to jumpstart tv dot com" and what looks like the start of the vid ... but with the 'play' circle in the middle. If I click - I loop through the intro and stop at the same point. Basically I can't get past the "welcome to jumpstart tv dot com" intro. Using IE7, W2K3 Server Ent,
Post #631147
Posted Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:29 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:46 AM
It was playing ok in my machine. I am also using IE 7.

Post #631660
Posted Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:16 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:20 AM
I believe the it was a suggestion and to base it on the size of your database and expected growth based on 2 months of growth.
Post #637538
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse