Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

SQL Server Preproduction Tasks Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:06 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 09, 2013 8:07 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Preproduction Tasks

Ken Simmons
http://twitter.com/KenSimmons
Post #608861
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
Very nicely done, Ken. Lot's o' work went into that one. Great job.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #608862
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:36 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:38 AM
Ditto Jeff's comments, Ken.
Post #608894
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:09 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:21 AM
Excellent checklist! May I add a caveat to #1: The latest patch level supported by the front end app's picky vendor (if applicable).
Post #608919
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:35 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:34 AM
Great article Ken. Much appreciated.

Can I ask your views on the following - I recently had auditors in and one of their recommendations was to increase the maximum number of error log files to a value of 25000 or higher via a registry hack. In the vulnerability report they give the following reason for this:

To prevent the loss of auditing data, it is recommended that you set this value high enough that the error logs will not be overwritten when restarting the database. Also note that there is a stored procedure, sp_cycle_errorlog, that closes an errorlog and creates a new file. An attacker could attempt to cover their tracks by overwriting files using this stored procedure. It is recommended that you set the value high enough that an attacker could not cycle the logs enough times in a reasonable amount of time to overwrite the error log containing an attack.

Many thanks

Steven
Post #608932
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:49 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
Steve,

For auduting purpose I would recommend saving up the Default Trace log; depending on your work load, you can save that daily, or multiple times/day. And that trace log has alot more information the SQL Server error logs do.

- Mohit.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
Post #609094
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:52 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
Oops forgot to ask questions regarding the article :P.

Point #2, Enable Successful and Failed logs ...

I understand having that on for the first little while in a new system to make sure you know who is hitting the system. But by enabling both Successfull and Failed will it not fill up the error log alot quicker. Like for example on some of my serers there are over 3000 successful connections/day. I track successful for a while when setting up new server to make sure things are funcitonal; then I switch to Failed log ons only.

Recommendations are both or just failed? Comments?

Point #7, Create a maintenance database ...

I just starting doing that recently on SQL Server 2000 environment because we needed to track access to the user/database login. And be able to report it out quickly. I am also using this for storing some Stored procedure for selective reindexing? What else can be in this database?

Thanks for the Article, really good pointers :D.

I will be reading the articles you posted today they look really good :D.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
Post #609099
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:22 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Failed logins are really the most important. It just depends on how busy your system is. It is all preference on what you would like to monitor.

I use the maintenace database to hold procedures and tables for...
reindexing, capturing database size for trending, capturing critical events from the error log, etc.

Jonathan Kehayias did a real good presentation called Automating Common DBA Tasks that has a lot of other good ideas. It can be found under the live meeting recordings here.

http://www.sqlpass.org/Community/SIGs/DatabaseAdministrationSIG/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Ken Simmons
Post #609147
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:32 AM

Ten Centuries

Jeff Moden (11/25/2008)
Very nicely done, Ken. Lot's o' work went into that one. Great job.

Thanks Jeff. It really wasn't that much work. I just wanted to share some of the things I do (or at least think about doing) when setting up a server.

I would love to hear what some other people do as well. I am always looking for new ideas to help improve performance and maintain system stability.

Ken Simmons
Post #609161
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:34 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:32 AM
Well written. Excellent article...

Post #609164
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse