Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Knowledge sharing Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:26 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:07 AM
Jeff Moden (11/25/2008)

Heh... then there's the "intelligent" ones that say things like "performance" doesn't matter and will argue for hours about it. The only reason why I continue in such a debate is because I don't want any newbies to think that performance doesn't matter.

In an effort to both edify a strong forum poster (Jeff) and to give kudos to a great forum (SSC), I'd like to quote Jeff and point everyone's attention to a post he just made (< 24hours ago...I think). It's toward the bottom, me quoting Jeff, quoting me, quoting Jeff (Post #608311). Both his professionalism and his conviction won me over to his side of the argument(http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic607292-1424-6.aspx).

In short, I agree with Manie that these forums, especially for fledgling DBA's like myself (title withheld for fear of seeing a dark side of Jeff that I haven't encountered yet. ;)), are indispensable.
Post #608334
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:40 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 2:39 PM
This is an awesome site with many great people willing to share thier knowledge. I know I have picked up many new ideas here, and learned some tricks to get things done faster and more effeciently.

Kudos to Steve for a great site, and to the "heavy hitters" (Jeff, Gail, Grant, Jack, and many others) that have taught me a lot in a short period of time. Keep it up, because you have inspired me as well, which is why I have tried to help as many as I can as well.

Manie, good article, and welcome to the team!

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #608349
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:48 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 6:49 AM
Lynn Pettis (11/25/2008)
This is an awesome site with many great people willing to share thier knowledge. I know I have picked up many new ideas here, and learned some tricks to get things done faster and more effeciently.

Kudos to Steve for a great site, and to the "heavy hitters" (Jeff, Gail, Grant, Jack, and many others) that have taught me a lot in a short period of time. Keep it up, because you have inspired me as well, which is why I have tried to help as many as I can as well.

Manie, good article, and welcome to the team!

I share Lynn's sentiments exactly. I have learned so much from the forum discussions. I am now addicted to the newsletter and the forums. The newsletter is the first thing I read in the morning. It really starts the day off right - gets my brain warmed up and ready for work.
Post #608358
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:54 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:17 AM
Manie,

Great article and thanks to everyone else for the great complements. We try to help where we can.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #608426
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:04 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:46 AM
Manie

Excellent one. Wish you write lot of articles here ...:)

Post #608436
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:01 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:46 PM
Great post, Manie! This is a timely topic and I appreciate it. There will always be shallow people that are quick to expose their ignorance with arrogant attitudes or derogatory remarks. The Bible says that even a fool will be thought intelligent if he keeps silent.

I appreciate the wisdom dispensed by the many excellent posters on this forum. It is because of their selfless efforts that I am able learn what I need to do my job without making disastrous mistakes. I will not name them here as there is no way I could mention them all and I do not want to leave any out.

In short, when it comes to posting or responding to posts, I think of what the famous cowboy philosopher, Will Rogers, once said: "The problem ain't what we know, but what we know that just ain't so!"

Cheers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious." - George Bernard Shaw
Post #608511
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:50 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, December 21, 2012 6:44 AM
Appreciate the article greatly. I have been working with SQL for a while and have built some nice tools for routine task, but have never been able to share them, or it is tedious to look for solutions others have already found to similar situations.
Post #608591
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 12:50 PM
Good article, good discussion.

I always try to have as much patience as possible with questions on these forums. I have to agree with Jeff that obvious interview/test questions have to be handled differently than "real" questions, but I try to err on the side of answering where I shouldn't rather than not answering where I should.

I don't really have a problem with arrogant questions. My biggest problem in forums like this is when something in the question isn't clear, and I ask for clarification, and either never get an answer, or get something that doesn't actually clarify anything at all. I understand that some/many people posting here don't speak English as their primary language (nor SQL as their second language), but there have been a few times where I've had to give up on a thread because I simply couldn't get some critical clarification of what was being asked for.

Where I have a BIG problem is, however, none of the things that have been mentioned yet. It's when someone comes here, asks for help in performance tuning a complex stored procedure, gets an answer, and immediately follows that up with a dozen more of a similar nature, all requiring hours of work to get fixed up. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened a few times. There's a big difference between going to a forum for help, learning something, and moving on with it, and going to a forum for free work on complex projects.

Outside of that, I love this forum (and related sites). I've been away from it for a couple of months, because of mad-crazy workload, but I'm back as much as I can be.

If I'd known such sites existed while I was learning SQL, I would have had a much easier time of it on a number of the projects I took on!

So I try to help as much as I can, while I learn as much as I can. Half the time, answering someone's question teaches me new things about subjects I would never have thought of, but which are definitely useful!

So, yeah, good article on a good subject. Keep the forums rollin'!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #608596
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:41 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:05 PM
Steve

I don't know if this is an option/possible for this website but I did see something on a other site recently that provides the awarding of points when a question post in answered and the points vary based on well the original poster felt the answer was. I'm sure it's not perfect but it's a way of giving some level of recognition to those who reply a lot and reply with useful info and not just simply a reply.

Not sure what kind of promos if any you can get with Red-Gate but it might be nice if there was something like a Rewards System in place that would allow someone like Jeff (who replies A LOT) to get something for that effort like a free copy of some Red-Gate software or promotional product (perhaps even from another vendor) like a shirt.

Just a thought.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
Post #608677
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:21 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, December 21, 2012 6:44 AM
I agree with the consensus above that I love to help others, for very selfish reasons, I expand my knowledge, but it is a drag when people ask to do their work for them as a freebee.

Is there a site of useful utilities/solutions that can be leveraged for ideas. One that posed a bad problem for us was solved with a SSIS package to rebuild SQL index across all server Databases on a daily basis only between 7-9PM and then would have to stop itself only between indexes never in the middle . It had to select tables that were larger than a specific size, then depending upon the table size defrag when the level of fragmentation varied from 10-85% so that the same index was not rebuilt every night, determine whether to reorganize/rebuild the indexes, and finally log it so that I can track frequency for fine tuning. It maintains tables from 34M-50K rows across 8 databases and very rarely has to stop due to time/server load. Last time tweaked was over a month ago.
Post #608702
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse