Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Mini-Me Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Mini-Me

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #606289
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 1:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:57 AM
Yes-ish.

Whenever I put something in to handle an event or act on a subset of data, I write something to let me see the opposite too - all the data that wasn't affected. That way, I get a quick sanity check that the process isn't too narrow as well as not too wide.

For more important processes, I'll also run those scripts a few times manually in the few days/weeks following go-live, once again as a sanity check. However, I don't generally schedule the scripts to email me. I do, however, have a few key jobs that'll naturally send out warning emails on failure, but I suspect most of us do that.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #606347
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 1:45 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
Yes.

I do unit test and I test my code etc.

Then at my workplace, we also have testers, that sits and tests everything we do so that no weird case that results in an error might occur.
Post #606356
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 2:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:42 AM
I am not entirely sure what kind of checks you are referring to, but I have worked in some organisations where none of the checks rely on automatic monitorring, and I have worked in some where everything relies on it. The latter are usually the worst to work for, because they refuse to believe that there is ANYTHING wrong unless you can show them an alert in their monitoring tool.

Throw away your pocket calculators; visit www.calcResult.com

Post #606368
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 6:04 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 10:38 AM
We run audits daily on the "business integrity" of some parts of the data and send the relationships or mis-aligned data results to the Data Entry personal. This is strictly a preventive maintenance procedure and helps to find problems before they are sent through the system.
Post #606449
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 6:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:34 AM
Yes

At a previous job I had numerous jobs running against an ERP system database to ensure the integrity of the transactions processed. For example, compare the general ledger account balances for inventory to the extended cost of the actual inventory held in the system.

Typically I have jobs for:
- daily balancing reports
- system interfaces
- internal system integrity
- error conditions within the data

I find this especially useful for data errors that appear sporadically. It is much easier to track down the cause of this type of error when you get timely notification when the error occurs.
Post #606462
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 6:35 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:31 AM
millsrustyk (11/21/2008)
We run audits daily on the "business integrity" of some parts of the data and send the relationships or mis-aligned data results to the Data Entry personal. This is strictly a preventive maintenance procedure and helps to find problems before they are sent through the system.

Me too! I've been at my current position for 9 months. One major system is an access application where the database was ported to SQL 2000 about 4 years ago. The application, still within Access, is a total nightmare (currently being re-designed/rewritten in Java but won't be live for 6 months). Since I've been here, I, with direction from the user community, have developed probably 20 or so queries that are run each morning on the SQL Server Agent to trap for invalid/incomplete data. This data is ultimately retreived and presented via the web to our clients and we want to be sure our data is as accurate possible. We have probably been in violation of our SLAs for quite some time - IMO - but are slowly getting back within our obligations. Very simply, a case where business outgrew the current system capabilities and feeble, past attempts have not been 100% reliable (which has led to "out with the old, in with the new (ME!)"). The best we can do until the rewrite is complete and live is to attempt to cleanse our data and present the best end-results within our current constraints. It may not be the absolute correct approach but, short-term, it's the best we can do with what we've got. My only saving grace is that management understands and can deal with it until June, 2009.

-- You can't be late until you show up.
Post #606467
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 6:59 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:03 AM
Hmmm, I think I like the term Business Integrity Audits! I finally have a good description of the reports that I go through each morning to confirm that things are working the way that I expect them too.

Scott
Post #606483
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 6:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:07 AM
I can't imagine NOT having SQL Server Agent jobs that are checking things. I've used jobs, and even some RS reports with subscriptions to monitor data integrity. I had to do it to protect myself at times. I had one instance where the same data had to be entered into 3 systems (don't start, I wanted to automate the users didn't) and if you missed one there were calls made in the middle of the night. One user claimed that someone was intentionally deleting data they had entered in to one of the systems. Well, I then wrote an audit system that emailed their entire department whenever data was entered, changed, or deleted on that system and emailed weekly whenever there was inconsistent data between systems. Imagine my surprise when this person no longer had any problems!:P

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #606485
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008 7:02 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:03 AM
Jack -

I started to write out the reasons why I had designed all of these reports, then just erased them because I would have had to add the "don't start" disclaimer too!

Scott
Post #606489
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse