Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3824,3834,3844,3854,386»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
TomThomson (4/28/2014)
GilaMonster (4/28/2014)
For the UK residents, what are my travel options for Birmingham -> Swansea?

Not yet certain if that's where I'll go, but may well be a place to start.

Birmingham to swansea is about 10 minutes less than 3 hours by rail, with a change of trains 915 mins breaj) at Bristol - best bet is to look at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to see about trains. But if you are starting from Telford, going via Birmingham is going to take about 10 minutes longer than going via Shrewsbury - but Bham has the advantage that you have a greater choice of trains.

There are buses/coaches too, but I haven't a clue about them - I never use them, because trains used to be much more comfortable back in the days when I formed my travelling habits.

Tom to be fair I have no airport experience pre 9/11 so I can't really say what is better or worse. Birmingham did go OTT a year later due to an idiot in a 4x4 and the drop off space in front of the departure entrance!
Luton, as a basic rule of thumb I avoid it, too many stories from other people.
When I was in West Midlands a few years ago, the trains were ok. Not the best at time keeping, but comfortable, and it's a main hub. Some odd journeys due to via locations, and no fast / semi fat options - I had to go to Worcester for training and to go by train would take twice as long as to drive 1 hour 20 versus 40 minutes in the car!

Coaches haven't used them since I got a car so 20 years ago
But I know someone who swears the couch is faster from Heathrow to central Birmingham than the train!

Rodders...

Post #1565954
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:34 PM
TomThomson (4/25/2014)

I avoid Heathrow whenever possible - it's a pretty unpleasant airport.

I'm usually in and out quickly that I don't mind it much.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1565966
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:38 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM
Whew, busy times at work lately. I've been out of The Thread for a good bit .

Anyone else from The Thread planning to attend this week's SQL Saturday in Atlanta? I noticed that Grant and Jason are both presenting a session there; I'll definitely be attending both! It's the first time I'll be at a programming-based activity, so I'm giddy about loading up with plenty of knowledge

-
Post #1566712
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:55 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
hisakimatama (5/1/2014)
Whew, busy times at work lately. I've been out of The Thread for a good bit .

Anyone else from The Thread planning to attend this week's SQL Saturday in Atlanta? I noticed that Grant and Jason are both presenting a session there; I'll definitely be attending both! It's the first time I'll be at a programming-based activity, so I'm giddy about loading up with plenty of knowledge

I'll absolutely be there, although I'm feeling decidedly under the weather at the moment. Make sure you corner me and say hello. Things get crazy at these events.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1566722
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:20 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM
Oh, definitely! I'd be honored to speak with you . Atlanta's awfully busy itself, but it's kinda close to where I grew up, so it's great to have an event like this close to home.

-
Post #1566727
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:30 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Can someone do me a favor and try to edit a few of their own posts?

got a report of a bug here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1566649-433-1.aspx?Update=1

Post #1566775
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:36 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/1/2014)
Can someone do me a favor and try to edit a few of their own posts?

got a report of a bug here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1566649-433-1.aspx?Update=1

See my reply in the bug thread.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1566779
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:37 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:19 AM
The bug report is correct (and it's not saying that you can't edit your own post). It's saying unexpected things happen when you click the Edit on someone else's post

I see every single post having an edit button, including your Steve. If I click the edit button on your post, it takes me to the top of the page your post is on. If I add a post to the bug thread and then again click the edit button on your thread, it takes me to the bug thread.
It's been like that forever.

Editing my own posts is fine

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1566782
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks, Gail and Sean. I was moving too fast and didn't realize the OP was editing another post.

Post #1566785
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:03 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
hisakimatama (5/1/2014)
Oh, definitely! I'd be honored to speak with you . Atlanta's awfully busy itself, but it's kinda close to where I grew up, so it's great to have an event like this close to home.

You might change you mind after you have heard Grant sing
But good thing is he's not that scary in person, well most of the time.

Grant, great catching up last week at Chicago, hope you are feeling better come Atlanta. I've decided to stay in Chicago and be a tourist as I did think 'hey Atlanta isn't that far...' But common sense kicked in.

Rodders...

Post #1566795
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3824,3834,3844,3854,386»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse