Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3694,3704,3714,3724,373»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:47 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/9/2014)
Adding and bumping topics in here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Forum2824-1.aspx

Please don't commit to more than one and please don't add in random comments. I'd like to try and keep track of these articles.

I tried to reply in the updated PARSENAME thread (but it wouldn't let me) because I thought WayneS had done that: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/PARSENAME/106755/

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1560217
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 6:30 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 AM
Some very nice words about some thread people and these forums in general:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1553867-364-1.aspx (at the end of the thread)

The highlight:

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1560859
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 6:53 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:17 PM
Koen Verbeeck (4/11/2014)

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1553867-364-1.aspx (at the end of the thread)

The highlight:

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users.

It is always humbling to be recognized by those we help. It is those few kind words that make the effort all the more worthwhile.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1560877
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 7:48 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 6:47 PM
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (4/11/2014)

The highlight:

It is always humbling to be recognized by those we help. It is those few kind words that make the effort all the more worthwhile.

It'ss nice to hear that people appreciate it over time and not just their immediate problem. I never would have made it to the Integration Services forum, so thanks for sharing it.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1560926
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 5:27 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 6:47 PM
I know there are many crazy stories about the weather from this year all over the world, but I have to share today's crazy forecast.

In Michigan, we're at 71 F now with winds at 23 MPH. Rain arrives later this morning. One inch of snow tonight and a low of 28 F. It was beautiful this past weekend and now we're at 71 F with snow tonight! It doesn't do this here very often. In spite of this unusually cold and snowy winter, I'm sure everyone will instantaneously forget how to drive at some point today or overnight.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1561435
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 4:43 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:39 PM
Hmmm... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1561455-146-1.aspx

Edit: Fixed link

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1561692
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 4:53 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:58 PM

Yeah looks like it was removed.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1561694
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 5:02 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:39 PM
SQLRNNR (4/14/2014)

No, I linked it wrong.

If you're going to be around a bit, could you watch that one and this one please?
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1561627-1550-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1561697
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 5:07 PM

SSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:58 PM
GilaMonster (4/14/2014)
SQLRNNR (4/14/2014)

No, I linked it wrong.

If you're going to be around a bit, could you watch that one and this one please?
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1561627-1550-1.aspx

Yup - I'll keep an eye on them.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1561698
Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:45 PM
Ed Wagner (4/14/2014)
I know there are many crazy stories about the weather from this year all over the world, but I have to share today's crazy forecast.

In Michigan, we're at 71 F now with winds at 23 MPH. Rain arrives later this morning. One inch of snow tonight and a low of 28 F. It was beautiful this past weekend and now we're at 71 F with snow tonight! It doesn't do this here very often. In spite of this unusually cold and snowy winter, I'm sure everyone will instantaneously forget how to drive at some point today or overnight.

Sat in Denver it was 70F. I was out walking the dogs in shorts and a long sleeve T (I little windy). Sun I left and it was 35F and raining, with 6-10" of snow coming.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1562438
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3694,3704,3714,3724,373»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse