Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3414,3424,3434,3444,345»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:52 PM
The Dixie Flatline (3/25/2014)
My poster child interview disappointment: Good resume' on paper, but then the man walked in, opened up his laptop, and scrolled through a "cheat sheet" document each time he was asked a question. He rarely made eye contact as he paged up and down searching for answers. When his answers were so off base that we rephrased questions, he would argue that he had already answered them. Go figure.

Why would you let him use his laptop? I would have asked politely to close it and focus on the interview.

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1554730
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:46 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:21 PM
My poster child interview disappointment: Good resume' on paper, but then the man walked in, opened up his laptop, and scrolled through a "cheat sheet" document each time he was asked a question. He rarely made eye contact as he paged up and down searching for answers. When his answers were so off base that we rephrased questions, he would argue that he had already answered them. Go figure.

Cool. Open book interview questions. You don't mind if I just turn my MIFI on do you? I'll be connecting to SQL Server Central during the interview process. You guys just keep an eye out for any questions marked "URGENT." That'll be me.

<sigh>

I have two favorites, on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Many moons ago, close to twenty years now, I interviewed a guy for an Access developer's position (yes, they used to pay for that). This guy answered every single question like he had written the product. It was amazing. I'd never met anyone who knew so much. We brought three different people in to ask questions and he aced them all. So we hired him. His first day on the job, he didn't get anything done... and I mean anything. Second day, we started watching him. He'd never sat in front of a computer before. He didn't know how to work the mouse. He was confused by the keyboard. He had clearly never even touched a computer before. But, we turned him away from the computer and asked him how to do stuff, and he knew it all. Weirdest darned thing I'd ever seen.

My second favorite is short & sweet. We were interviewing someone for a senior level SQL Server position. After a couple of questions (which he didn't do well on) he stated, "Why are you asking me all these questions that are product specific. You should only ever be using ANSI standard commands & syntax and never, ever use any of the product specific controls or functions. Otherwise how can you nimbly shift between different platforms." And then he got vehement about it. It was fun.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1554736
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:44 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:17 PM
Grant Fritchey (3/25/2014)
He got vehement about it. It was fun.

I can imagine the fun that could be had.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1554743
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 12:29 PM
SQLRNNR (3/25/2014)
He got vehement about it. It was fun.

I can imagine the fun that could be had.

Some of these would make good UTube material.
I can imagine someone pretends to be taking notes on a tablet, like notes of the responses, while actually recording the interview.
Post #1554744
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:58 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:59 PM

Cool. Open book interview questions. You don't mind if I just turn my MIFI on do you? I'll be connecting to SQL Server Central during the interview process. You guys just keep an eye out for any questions marked "URGENT." That'll be me.

<sigh>

I have two favorites, on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Many moons ago, close to twenty years now, I interviewed a guy for an Access developer's position (yes, they used to pay for that). This guy answered every single question like he had written the product. It was amazing. I'd never met anyone who knew so much. We brought three different people in to ask questions and he aced them all. So we hired him. His first day on the job, he didn't get anything done... and I mean anything. Second day, we started watching him. He'd never sat in front of a computer before. He didn't know how to work the mouse. He was confused by the keyboard. He had clearly never even touched a computer before. But, we turned him away from the computer and asked him how to do stuff, and he knew it all. Weirdest darned thing I'd ever seen.

My second favorite is short & sweet. We were interviewing someone for a senior level SQL Server position. After a couple of questions (which he didn't do well on) he stated, "Why are you asking me all these questions that are product specific. You should only ever be using ANSI standard commands & syntax and never, ever use any of the product specific controls or functions. Otherwise how can you nimbly shift between different platforms." And then he got vehement about it. It was fun.

A Celko student and follower.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1554760
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:36 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:06 AM
Well, it's not a totally unreasonable position, so long as you actually know what you're talking about...
Post #1554821
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:59 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:21 PM
paul.knibbs (3/26/2014)
Well, it's not a totally unreasonable position, so long as you actually know what you're talking about...

Maybe. I mean, the organization I was with is still using SQL Server, 15 years on. So we shouldn't use all the stuff that SQL offers that's outside the ANSI standard so we can switch, even though we're not switching and all that stuff that's outside the ANSI standard could really speed things up or make things work better? That's an odd stance. Just sayin'.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1554845
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:03 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
paul.knibbs (3/26/2014)

Are any of the Hekaton/columnstore features part of the ANSI standard?
It would seem hard to believe they do.
So you can't use any of the performance benefits because it is not "standard"?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1554847
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:14 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:06 AM
Seems I should clarify: I said it wasn't a totally unreasonable position, not that it was a position I agreed with. Wanting cross-compatibility between different database platforms is something that might be needed, even if not for the particular example cited.
Post #1554848
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:16 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
paul.knibbs (3/26/2014)
Seems I should clarify: I said it wasn't a totally unreasonable position, not that it was a position I agreed with. Wanting cross-compatibility between different database platforms is something that might be needed, even if not for the particular example cited.

I'm not arguing against you, but against Celko-alike people

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1554850
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3414,3424,3434,3444,345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse