Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3084,3094,3104,3114,312»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:28 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:31 AM
GilaMonster (2/26/2014)
BrainDonor (2/26/2014)
I assume this is the one you tweeted about earlier.

Yup.

I strongly suspect it's not repairable. The page number the error gives is within the range I'd expect system tables to have. Also CheckDB is supposed to consume the 824 errors and produce corruption-related informational messages. CheckDB actually throwing an 824 suggests that it's a very low-level component of the storage engine that's choking on the corruption and failing catastrophically and that does not bode well for the state of the data.

When we get errors in this range, it usually mean the RAID controller or drives are failing. Yes, restore the data, after they verify the underlying storage.
Post #1545518
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:54 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:32 AM
EricEyster (2/26/2014)
When we get errors in this range, it usually mean the RAID controller or drives are failing. Yes, restore the data, after they verify the underlying storage.

All corruption-related errors (823, 824 and 825) imply that there is something wrong with the IO subsystem, no matter where in the database file the corruption happens to land.
Not necessarily the drives, can be anything in the IO stack from filter drivers all the way down to the disk.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1545531
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:26 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:31 AM
Yep, just saying we have field technicians that restore databases and walk away. Then we get a very upset store manager call back in 2 weeks with the same problem and more data loss.

Post #1545547
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:33 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:10 PM
TomThomson (2/25/2014)[/b]
The Dixie Flatline (2/25/2014)
rodjkidd (2/25/2014)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/24/2014)

[quote]

I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland a few weeks ago. It was pretty neat to see the history of some bands and people. Large Rolling Stones exhibit there. Amazed to think how they've changed, from being Beatles-like in the 60s to where they are today.

Sounds like a good place to visit.
The Stones - and most people think they have always just sounded like the "Stones"

Rodders...

HERESY.... the Stones were always grounded in the blues.

"Satisfaction" sounds nothing like "She Loves You (Yah Yah Yah)"

Nonsense! They wouldn't have understood the blues even if someone had sprayed them with it. They just liked loud uninteresting noises (sometimes discordant ones) with no decent lyrics to support them.

But you are dead right that "Satisfaction" sounds nothing like "She loves you". But of course saying that is about as useful as saying that "Little Red Rooster" doesn't sound much like "She's leaving home" and that's an equally reasonable comparison.

Tom, as a native of Mississippi for 43 of my 58 years, I've heard my fair share of the blues in my lifetime, and my fair share of the Stones. so I must beg to differ. If you want more authoritative support for my statement, start here.

As for the rest of your comments, they simply amount to the fact that you don't like the Stones' music. That's your personal preference and you are certainly entitled to it. Some people don't like curling or haggis, or bagpipes. I personally like bagpipes but I'm sure many people find their sound to be loud, uninteresting, and discordant. As a great philosopher once said... It don't matter.

Best regards.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #1545591
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:45 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Blog and email working again. Finally.

I hate DNS-related problems.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1545599
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:51 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:10 PM
GilaMonster (2/26/2014)

Woohoo!!! I was trying to reference something there earlier today and noticed it was still down.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1545602
Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:21 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:35 AM
GilaMonster (2/26/2014)

Not GoDaddy, I hope. They lost my wife's DNS records and I had to play tech support guy for a day.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1545637
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:07 AM

SSC-Forever

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/26/2014)
GilaMonster (2/26/2014)

Not GoDaddy, I hope. They lost my wife's DNS records and I had to play tech support guy for a day.

No. I host at Arvixe. They're OK, not great but for what I pay that's about all I can expect. Both domains I registered myself directly with the domain registrar.

Gail Shaw

Post #1545744
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:08 AM

SSC-Forever

Sean Lange (2/26/2014)
GilaMonster (2/26/2014)

Woohoo!!! I was trying to reference something there earlier today and noticed it was still down.

Domain update finally went through successfully about 9pm local time. DNS propagation may take a few hours or even a day or two, so if you're still getting errors try again later.

Gail Shaw

Post #1545745
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
The Dixie Flatline (2/26/2014)
TomThomson (2/25/2014)[/b]
The Dixie Flatline (2/25/2014)
rodjkidd (2/25/2014)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/24/2014)

[quote]

I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland a few weeks ago. It was pretty neat to see the history of some bands and people. Large Rolling Stones exhibit there. Amazed to think how they've changed, from being Beatles-like in the 60s to where they are today.

Sounds like a good place to visit.
The Stones - and most people think they have always just sounded like the "Stones"

Rodders...

HERESY.... the Stones were always grounded in the blues.

"Satisfaction" sounds nothing like "She Loves You (Yah Yah Yah)"

Nonsense! They wouldn't have understood the blues even if someone had sprayed them with it. They just liked loud uninteresting noises (sometimes discordant ones) with no decent lyrics to support them.

But you are dead right that "Satisfaction" sounds nothing like "She loves you". But of course saying that is about as useful as saying that "Little Red Rooster" doesn't sound much like "She's leaving home" and that's an equally reasonable comparison.

Tom, as a native of Mississippi for 43 of my 58 years, I've heard my fair share of the blues in my lifetime, and my fair share of the Stones. so I must beg to differ. If you want more authoritative support for my statement, start here.

As for the rest of your comments, they simply amount to the fact that you don't like the Stones' music. That's your personal preference and you are certainly entitled to it. Some people don't like curling or haggis, or bagpipes. I personally like bagpipes but I'm sure many people find their sound to be loud, uninteresting, and discordant. As a great philosopher once said... It don't matter.

Best regards.
...and there we find the winter of our discontent,
The Rolling Stones are an English rock band

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Post Attachments 
funny-scotland-global-warming-frankie-boyle.jpg (8 views, 22.04 KB)
Post #1545905
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3084,3094,3104,3114,312»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse