Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2944,2954,2964,2974,298»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 12:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:17 PM
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

Have you noticed the community has grown over 1.7M members?

Congratulations to Steve et al who founded it, keep up the good work.

I noticed that is was only 8 users away late last night. Steve, you've crossed another round number. Are you going to host a party when you hit the 2M mark?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1542242
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 1:03 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:20 PM
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

I noticed that is was only 8 users away late last night. Steve, you've crossed another round number. Are you going to host a party when you hit the 2M mark?

Member 2M gets a t shirt, and has to read The Thread end to end.

Hat's off to Steve, and all the others that contribute in various ways.
Post #1542257
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 1:05 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
Greg Edwards-268690 (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

That might end up being a shirtless t-shirt.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1542261
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 1:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
SQLRNNR (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

I heard member 2M gets one of Steve's personal Hawaiian shirts, autographed by every member of the thread.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1542263
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 1:13 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Koen Verbeeck (2/17/2014)
SQLRNNR (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

I heard member 2M gets one of Steve's personal Hawaiian shirts, autographed by every member of the thread.

You can't autograph it until you have worn it and the shirt is not to be laundered. Just sayin'!!

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1542264
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 5:14 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:03 PM
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
dwain.c (2/16/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/13/2014)
dwain.c (2/13/2014)
Jack Corbett (2/13/2014)

Glad no bare-chested pictures of Grant, or frankly anyone on the thread, have popped up here too.

I guess it is fortunate then that most of the bare chest in my avatar is covered by a big fish.

You know, Dwain, I've seen your avatar and have always wondered what kind of fish you are holding. Also, where did you catch it?

It's a 45kg Mekong Catfish that I caught at a fishing park on the outskirts of Bangkok (my home base) called Bung Sam Ran. The pond is also stocked with Giant Siamese Carp which are truly beautiful fish (unfortunately I've never caught one) and Arapaima, which is a huge fish indigenous to South America.

If anyone ever comes to visit me I'd be happy to accompany them on a fishing trip. I can promise all fisher-folk the best day of fishing they've ever had.

Thank you for satisfying a curiosity of mine. I actually saw a show on Animal Planet (a cable channel) about a year ago about how the Arapaima are impacting the behavior of the Piranha in some regions of South America. I know this type of show is made for TV, but it doesn't change the fact that the fish are quite impressive and dangerous. Thanks for the info.

Bung Sam Ran has a sign in every hut that reads something like:

Please do not go swimming as the water has many dangerous fishes (sic)"

I'd say that rates a "duh!"

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1542311
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 6:25 PM

SSC-Insane

dwain.c (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
dwain.c (2/16/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/13/2014)
dwain.c (2/13/2014)
Jack Corbett (2/13/2014)

Glad no bare-chested pictures of Grant, or frankly anyone on the thread, have popped up here too.

I guess it is fortunate then that most of the bare chest in my avatar is covered by a big fish.

You know, Dwain, I've seen your avatar and have always wondered what kind of fish you are holding. Also, where did you catch it?

It's a 45kg Mekong Catfish that I caught at a fishing park on the outskirts of Bangkok (my home base) called Bung Sam Ran. The pond is also stocked with Giant Siamese Carp which are truly beautiful fish (unfortunately I've never caught one) and Arapaima, which is a huge fish indigenous to South America.

If anyone ever comes to visit me I'd be happy to accompany them on a fishing trip. I can promise all fisher-folk the best day of fishing they've ever had.

Thank you for satisfying a curiosity of mine. I actually saw a show on Animal Planet (a cable channel) about a year ago about how the Arapaima are impacting the behavior of the Piranha in some regions of South America. I know this type of show is made for TV, but it doesn't change the fact that the fish are quite impressive and dangerous. Thanks for the info.

Bung Sam Ran has a sign in every hut that reads something like:

Please do not go swimming as the water has many dangerous fishes (sic)"

I'd say that rates a "duh!"

Yeah - that would be a "here's your sign" kind of thing.

If I am ever in that neck of the woods, I will be looking you up.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1542326
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:34 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
SQLRNNR (2/17/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (2/17/2014)
SQLRNNR (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
EL Jerry (2/17/2014)
G'Day Everyone!!

You can't autograph it until you have worn it and the shirt is not to be laundered. Just sayin'!!

Ha - we tried that with the SQL Relay Shirt I took with me to the Summit last year - didn't go down too well with some of the people we got to wear it... Although most just wore it without question. Grant / Jack and Gail spring to mind in the "Yeah sure whatever" category

Which reminds me, I have no idea what happened to the shirt... Must ask the person who ran the last one - luckily he's only a few feet away!

Rodders...

Post #1542428
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:43 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
Went to the London UG / SQLSupper with Mark Souza, Connor Cunningham et al for 2 hours of, I guess you would call a State of the Union / open forum type event. Over 200 looked to have braved the weather / London on a Monday night / Trains not really working (I was in that cat).

Really good night. Heavy hints that an annoucment of a release date was imminent. So not that the release would be soon, but they are going to pick a date finally!

Also SQLbits "Is very close" to being announced. Apparently some last minute hitches - all very Prophet Zarquon! Again no idea what that really means though. Simon was just smiling in that slightly mad way Simon smiles at you.

Couple of us went from work. We had 4 options to get there, and it looks as thought we picked the worst. Made it with about 5 minutes to spare, so grabbed last slice of pizza, and some wedges.

Rodders...

Post #1542429
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:08 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
rodjkidd (2/18/2014)
Went to the London UG / SQLSupper with Mark Souza, Connor Cunningham et al for 2 hours of, I guess you would call a State of the Union / open forum type event. Over 200 looked to have braved the weather / London on a Monday night / Trains not really working (I was in that cat).

Really good night. Heavy hints that an annoucment of a release date was imminent. So not that the release would be soon, but they are going to pick a date finally!

Also SQLbits "Is very close" to being announced. Apparently some last minute hitches - all very Prophet Zarquon! Again no idea what that really means though. Simon was just smiling in that slightly mad way Simon smiles at you.

Couple of us went from work. We had 4 options to get there, and it looks as thought we picked the worst. Made it with about 5 minutes to spare, so grabbed last slice of pizza, and some wedges.

Rodders...

Sounds like a great night. I'm actually more anxious about the SQLBits date than I am about SQL Server. I keep putting off scheduling other stuff because I want to work around Bits. It's making me crazy (and probably pissing off all sorts of organizers at other events).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1542455
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2944,2954,2964,2974,298»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse