Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2884,2894,2904,2914,292»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:56 PM
I have been home since Sunday afternoon and today is the first day it has been warmer than it has been at night back in Afghanistan.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1539403
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 3:13 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 10:27 AM
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)
I have been home since Sunday afternoon and today is the first day it has been warmer than it has been at night back in Afghanistan.

WELCOME BACK!
Post #1539417
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 3:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

WELCOME BACK!

Thanks!

I am already counting the days until I go back. I have a lot to do and little time since I leave on February 25th.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1539419
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 4:42 PM

SSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

Welcome Back

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1539439
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 8:10 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:27 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)
jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

WELCOME BACK!

Thanks!

I am already counting the days until I go back. I have a lot to do and little time since I leave on February 25th.

Welcome back, even if it is only for a short time. On a related note, it's good to hear that you're still employed. So, on the going back, I'm happy and sad for you. Enjoy your time while you're home.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1539459
Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:22 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:48 PM
Andrew Notarian (2/7/2014)
I don't think I have ever asked a question on Stack Overflow that wasn't closed within minutes as a bad question. That really turned me off from it. OTOH, I have asked dumb questions here and always got a meaningful response even when I was being silly about something. I do like the voting up far more than the "mark as answer" functionality of MSDN. Sometimes weird stuff is marked as the answer, and of course lots of people figure their problem out elsewhere and never update the 7 forum posts they've made about the issue.

Stack Overflow is a complete mess: a victim of its own success in many ways. There is a database-specific site (Database Administrators) that works much better, but again it is intended to as a wiki rather than as a place for extended discussions abut very specific problems. Forums still have their place, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1539634
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 12:51 PM

SSC-Insane

Ed Wagner (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)
jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

WELCOME BACK!

Thanks!

Welcome back, even if it is only for a short time. On a related note, it's good to hear that you're still employed. So, on the going back, I'm happy and sad for you. Enjoy your time while you're home.

Actually, I am glad to be going back, even if it is only to get the tax break for working overseas for a year. It has been a unique experience and I am hoping to learn more as I am there during our hardware refresh (moving from 32 bit to 64 bit hardware and software).

Anyway, I am enjoying the break from working every day even though I have lots to do while I am home.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1539917
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 1:34 PM

SSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/10/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)
jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

WELCOME BACK!

Thanks!

Actually, I am glad to be going back, even if it is only to get the tax break for working overseas for a year. It has been a unique experience and I am hoping to learn more as I am there during our hardware refresh (moving from 32 bit to 64 bit hardware and software).

Anyway, I am enjoying the break from working every day even though I have lots to do while I am home.

Cool. At least you have been spared the need to find a different job for a while and get to do something enjoyable.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1539934
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 4:26 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:11 PM
SQLRNNR (2/10/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/10/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)
jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

WELCOME BACK!

Thanks!

Cool. At least you have been spared the need to find a different job for a while and get to do something enjoyable.

And you get the chance to learn! Take care and stay safe.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1539984
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:25 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:42 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/7/2014)

Sorry for the chilly temps, but welcome back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1540231
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2884,2894,2904,2914,292»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse