Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2874,2884,2894,2904,291»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:53 PM
Koen Verbeeck (2/7/2014)
The only problem with MSDN are some of its moderators.
An example that is causing a bit of a Twitter riot right now:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/127df876-5c50-411f-8bb0-ebdd00bce5b2/default-systemhealth-extended-event-not-caputring-all-events?forum=sqlkjmanageability

Let's hope that Jamie's comment has some effect - maybe a few more upvotes for it would help. As twitter and I are unconnected (I don't possess a long enough and suffciently well insulated bargepole) I haven't seen the riot and won't jon it, but upvoting Jamie's comment was easy.

Tom
Post #1539303
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 11:13 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:53 PM
GilaMonster (2/7/2014)
jasona.work (2/7/2014)
Is it in any way, shape, or form, possible to have a functional SQL database, with its log file in an offline state. Could you somehow read / alter data in any way at all?

Change definitely not.
Without the log you may (emphasis may) be able to switch the DB to emergency mode and read the data. Single user, for emergencies.

Edit: That said, there is a short interval (30 sec iirc) between when the log file disappears and when SQL declares an IO failure.

I don't think that 30 seconds interval changes anything so far as altering data is concerned- nothing can be written to database pages on disc for which the corresponding log record has not been confirmed by the IO system as written to the log, and nothing can be so confirmed once the file has "disappeared"; I guess you may be able to read some stuff during that interval.

Of course you can always read the physical data from the data file on the disc and try interpreting it; without the log file this is going to be roughly equivalent (but a bit more technically difficult) to reading data with READ UNCOMMITTED isolation level, so possible not very useful.

Tom
Post #1539310
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 11:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:05 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (2/7/2014)
Jeff Moden (2/7/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (2/6/2014)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/6/2014)

However, this way they can give feedback that something worked. We are talking about how to best get other info from the "crowd" on posts.

As long as this doesn't turn SSC into a dictatorship like at StackOverflow, where some arrogant twats decide everything.
(I may be overreacting a bit :)

I like the MSDN model, where the OP or admins mark a post as answered, but the crowd can upvote a post or propose a reply as an answer.

I don't believe you're overreacting. I've had experiences there and on ASK SSC where they closed a really interesting thread or two that had some really bad answers because it didn't fit their model for not having discussions. That's why I simply avoid both most of the time now.

I like the MSDN model for the very reason you state.

Have to agree about ASK SSC - gave up on it some years ago. Never used Stack Overflow (although get quite a few hits on it with Google). Stongly inclined to agree with you and Koen. (No surprise there, I guess )

I checked ASK SSC out quite some time ago, but didn't really see the appeal. I tried answering a question once, but it wouldn't let me login. I haven't been back. Why would anyone want to use it anyway when we have SSC?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1539318
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 11:39 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:44 PM
Ed Wagner (2/7/2014)
Jeff Moden (2/7/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (2/6/2014)

However, this way they can give feedback that something worked. We are talking about how to best get other info from the "crowd" on posts.

As long as this doesn't turn SSC into a dictatorship like at StackOverflow, where some arrogant twats decide everything.

I like the MSDN model, where the OP or admins mark a post as answered, but the crowd can upvote a post or propose a reply as an answer.

I don't believe you're overreacting. I've had experiences there and on ASK SSC where they closed a really interesting thread or two that had some really bad answers because it didn't fit their model for not having discussions. That's why I simply avoid both most of the time now.

Have to agree about ASK SSC - gave up on it some years ago. Never used Stack Overflow (although get quite a few hits on it with Google). Stongly inclined to agree with you and Koen. (No surprise there, I guess )

I checked ASK SSC out quite some time ago, but didn't really see the appeal. I tried answering a question once, but it wouldn't let me login. I haven't been back. Why would anyone want to use it anyway when we have SSC?

From what I hear, the developers are working on those login problems. I have said something about that on a few occasions.

I don't like stack. I think it is silly that you have to ask questions first and get those answered before you have enough rep to be able to answer questions.
MSDN might be ok from time to time but there are some serious attitudes over there. That has led me away from doing much over there.
SSC is just right for me.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1539330
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 11:56 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 AM
I don't think that 30 seconds interval changes anything so far as altering data is concerned- nothing can be written to database pages on disc for which the corresponding log record has not been confirmed by the IO system as written to the log, and nothing can be so confirmed once the file has "disappeared"; I guess you may be able to read some stuff during that interval.

Modifications will run, the commit will hang (waiting on writelog) and the transaction will roll back as soon as SQL declares the IO failure.

Of course you can always read the physical data from the data file on the disc and try interpreting it; without the log file this is going to be roughly equivalent (but a bit more technically difficult) to reading data with READ UNCOMMITTED isolation level, so possible not very useful.

Unnecessary in most cases. Most of the time at worst an emergency mode repair will bring the DB back with some data loss.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1539336
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 12:14 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 8:26 AM
SQLRNNR (2/7/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/7/2014)
Jeff Moden (2/7/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (2/6/2014)

From what I hear, the developers are working on those login problems. I have said something about that on a few occasions.

I don't like stack. I think it is silly that you have to ask questions first and get those answered before you have enough rep to be able to answer questions.
MSDN might be ok from time to time but there are some serious attitudes over there. That has led me away from doing much over there.
SSC is just right for me.

I don't think I have ever asked a question on Stack Overflow that wasn't closed within minutes as a bad question. That really turned me off from it. OTOH, I have asked dumb questions here and always got a meaningful response even when I was being silly about something. I do like the voting up far more than the "mark as answer" functionality of MSDN. Sometimes weird stuff is marked as the answer, and of course lots of people figure their problem out elsewhere and never update the 7 forum posts they've made about the issue.
Post #1539346
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 2:09 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:43 PM
I have these men's shirts, sorry, XXS only

For women, we have XXXXXXL in this

but you have to share. 1 for every 3 of you.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1539395
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 2:11 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:33 AM
Double Extra Small and my beer belly... and only in pink?

I'm in. When are we doing the photo ops?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1539396
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 2:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:44 PM
Uh yeah. I'm in if Steve brings them to Summit to go with Kilt Day this year.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1539398
Posted Friday, February 7, 2014 2:27 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:57 PM
Yes Please.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)

Post Attachments 
brainbleach.jpg (172 views, 56.00 KB)
Post #1539401
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2874,2884,2894,2904,291»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse