Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2694,2704,2714,2724,273»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:43 AM
wolfkillj (1/29/2014)
I created and used my first extended events session last week, and it was great - easy and extremely helpful. I just posted about it on my blog, if you're interested in reading about my experience:

BLOG: Extended Events - As Cool as I Thought They'd Be

Thanks Jason - I've been on the lookout for something like this.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1536198
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:01 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 AM
Another awesome SQL Spackle from Jeff today.
Cheers Jeff!

Rodders...

Post #1536255
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:27 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:50 PM
ChrisM@Work (1/30/2014)
wolfkillj (1/29/2014)
I created and used my first extended events session last week, and it was great - easy and extremely helpful. I just posted about it on my blog, if you're interested in reading about my experience:

BLOG: Extended Events - As Cool as I Thought They'd Be

Thanks Jason - I've been on the lookout for something like this.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope my experience can help you get started with extended events. I found extended events to be pretty intimidating from the outside, but realized how simple it can be once I tried it. If you haven't read Jonathan Kehayias's article that I linked in the post, I highly recommend it.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1536341
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:28 AM

SSCrazy

Serious Doh! Moment today.

SSIS process has failed this morning. Business noticed before the support guys. Error says a problem with a column - the files uses ; as a delimiter, so I thought maybe there's an extra one there or something wrong with the file.

After a couple of misses with coping the package and importing into SSDT - it's 2008 on the server. I finally got it to run on my test system and it works...

Strange...

Went to talk to one of the Prod DBA's as my access on the server is limited, and he spots that the server has run out of space! Doh!

Nothing wrong with the package or job, other than the error message sent me on a wild goose chase! <facepalm>

Rodders...

Post #1536342
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:19 PM
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)
Cheers Jeff!

Rodders...

Thanks Rodders. This one was aimed mostly at helping newbies to SQL Server understand the problem especially since there have been a fair number of similar questions in the past several months. I remember the first time I had to solve this problem in T-SQL. It wasn't pretty.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1536347
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:48 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:27 PM
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)

SSIS process has failed this morning. Business noticed before the support guys. Error says a problem with a column - the files uses ; as a delimiter, so I thought maybe there's an extra one there or something wrong with the file.

After a couple of misses with coping the package and importing into SSDT - it's 2008 on the server. I finally got it to run on my test system and it works...

Strange...

Went to talk to one of the Prod DBA's as my access on the server is limited, and he spots that the server has run out of space! Doh!

Nothing wrong with the package or job, other than the error message sent me on a wild goose chase! <facepalm>

Rodders...

SSIS error messages are the worst.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1536355
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:01 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:19 PM
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)

... {snip}...

Heh... I love some of the error messages that come up. They sometimes cause a gaggle of geese to take flight.

Shifting gears a bit and sorry for the obvious recommendation, but I think it's time for your DBA to build (or buy) and deploy a disk space monitoring system. Such a thing has allowed me to fairly accurately predict such problems months in advance so the folks in NetOps have time to get purchase orders approved, buy the extra disk space, install it, test it, etc, etc, before it comes anywhere near being an urgency.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1536363
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:10 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 3, 2014 8:05 AM
Jeff Moden (1/30/2014)
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)

... {snip}...

Heh... I love some of the error messages that come up. They sometimes cause a gaggle of geese to take flight.

Shifting gears a bit and sorry for the obvious recommendation, but I think it's time for your DBA to build (or buy) and deploy a disk space monitoring system. Such a thing has allowed me to fairly accurately predict such problems months in advance so the folks in NetOps have time to get purchase orders approved, buy the extra disk space, install it, test it, etc, etc, before it comes anywhere near being an urgency.

Yep, running out of disk space and not knowing about it = DBA Fail IMO
Post #1536367
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:37 AM

SSCrazy

HowardW (1/30/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/30/2014)
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)

... {snip}...

Yep, running out of disk space and not knowing about it = DBA Fail IMO

Probably not the time to mention we have one of those...

Company has out sourced prod DBA team. Been up and running since start of year, so some things are still falling through the cracks. So don't know if they will implement their own monitoring or use the software in place. Depends on who "owns" the servers I guess.

I think they (the outsource company) will get another month of grace and then questions will be asked.

Pity as we had sorted out nearly all these types of issues last year - major re-org last year as well just before I joined. Oh so glad I'm on contract here!

Rodders...

Post #1536380
Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:42 AM

SSCrazy

Jeff Moden (1/30/2014)
rodjkidd (1/30/2014)
Cheers Jeff!

Rodders...

Thanks Rodders. This one was aimed mostly at helping newbies to SQL Server understand the problem especially since there have been a fair number of similar questions in the past several months. I remember the first time I had to solve this problem in T-SQL. It wasn't pretty.

Jeff,

I quite understand;
But if this isn't something you need to do, no matter how much experience you have, it's a great point of reference.
And, a really great insight in to how to destruct a problem and come up with a neat solution. As you said in the article some people might tackle each sub type as one problem. Rather than as a whole. Of course sometimes the reverse is true!

So more blushing I'm afraid!

Rodders...

Post #1536385
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2694,2704,2714,2724,273»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse