Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2474,2484,2494,2504,251»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:13 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:44 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings during this holiday season, but this just came to my attention this morning.

Steven Willis, whom some of you may know by his many helpful forum posts, passed away back in October. When last I corresponded with him he had contracted a degenerative muscle disease (Polymyositis) and had taken an early retirement.

His last postings to the SSC forum were in Sep:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1497012.aspx

Even though I only knew him briefly, his contributions will be missed.

If anyone knows him and wants to pass on condolences to his family, you can PM me and I'll send you an email address that his daughter is watching.

Edit: Expired link fixed.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1526070
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 10:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 1:01 AM
One of my brothers works for a large supermarket chain and is already sick of Easter - the Easter Eggs arrived into the warehouse on Christma Eve!

BrainDonor
Linkedin
Blog Site
Post #1526225
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 11:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:02 AM
dwain.c (12/26/2013)
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings during this holiday season, but this just came to my attention this morning.

Steven Willis, whom some of you may know by his many helpful forum posts, passed away back in October. When last I corresponded with him he had contracted a degenerative muscle disease (can't find the name of it at the moment) and had taken an early retirement.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Search1-0-2.aspx?SessionID=pepbu1vmbnuxp3mtsjkn4ri1&SortBy=2&SortOrder=1

If anyone knows him and wants to pass on condolences to his family, you can PM me and I'll send you an email address that his daughter is watching.

Thanks for the note.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1526232
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 12:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:13 AM
Hi everyone!!!

Please receive my best wishes for the holidays, although they are a little late.

I wish the best to you guys in the coming year and may the SQL Server force be with you all year long.

Tom,

Where were those pictures taken?

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan
Post #1526241
Posted Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:22 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:45 AM
EL Jerry (12/27/2013)
Tom,

Where were those pictures taken?

The ones I posted about a week ago? In my garden, in Puerto del Carmen - that's 28°55′22,5″N 13°40′01,7″W, roughly.

Tom
Post #1526360
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 1:44 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
Ok, after another frustrating thread of 'why do you want to remove that operator from the query, is it causing problems', the next article on the to-do list (after I finish deadlocks) is 'Premature Optimisation, or, measure twice, tune once'

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1526417
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 2:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:56 AM
dwain.c (12/26/2013)

Steven Willis, whom some of you may know by his many helpful forum posts, passed away back in October. When last I corresponded with him he had contracted a degenerative muscle disease (Polymyositis) and had taken an early retirement.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1497012.aspx

Edit: Expired link fixed.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Steven was the mild-mannered poster, always helpful, never rattled.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1526429
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 2:39 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:56 AM
GilaMonster (12/30/2013)
Ok, after another frustrating thread of 'why do you want to remove that operator from the query, is it causing problems', the next article on the to-do list (after I finish deadlocks) is 'Premature Optimisation, or, measure twice, tune once'

Brilliant title, tricky subject. "Is that premature optimisation or are you just pleased to see me?"
Too often it's idleness, with PO offered as a poor excuse. I'd be happy to look it over if you wish, Gail.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1526430
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 8:42 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
GilaMonster (12/30/2013)

I like the direction suggested by the proposed title - is there really a performance problem or are you just "tuning" the query as a knee-jerk response to seeing a scan in the execution plan or some similar shibboleth?

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1526516
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 8:50 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:24 AM
GilaMonster (12/30/2013)

I like it too. It suggests that we should tune based on measurement and testing. There are basics to put in place during design, but there's no way to anticipate all the ways people are going to use tables.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1526519
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2474,2484,2494,2504,251»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse