Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2444,2454,2464,2474,248»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 12:45 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:24 AM
Ed Wagner (12/16/2013)
The weather has been pretty crazy so far this winter err...snow season. The next thing we see will be Dwain saying he has snow and Steve posting a picture of a palm tree in his front yard.

I've been having a strange problem for the last few days, roughly speaking internet access to USA sites has been almost impossible: average proportion of lost packets about 85%, occassional good peiods of 15 minutes or so when lost packets dropped to around 40%. Anywhere else in the world (at least Canada, Spain, France, UK, Italy) no problems. so I'm responding to this a little late, because it's now officially winter in the USA, not just snow season.
But I can't resist pictures of my yard in winter (pictures taken this evening). One of teh attached pictures has 5 different kinds of palm tree in it, and an aloe arborescens (useful for treating sunburn) which unfortunately isn't in bloom just now; the other has a bougainvillea in full bloom. Both are typical midwinter sights here.
And like Dwain, I don't expect to see any snow this winter - although I may see some in the spring when I return to the UK about Easter time. at about Easter time.

PS after writing this last night I discovered that access had gone bad again. It started working half an hour after I got up this morming - I hope for long enough to catch up on teh vast number SQL Server Central notifications in my inbox.

Tom

Post Attachments 
IMG_0298.JPG (22 views, 3.53 MB)
IMG_0297.JPG (17 views, 2.32 MB)
Post #1525423
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 1:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Jeff Moden (12/21/2013)
We have a wonderful "on call" policy. Anyone and everyone can be called at any time.

I reckon that's the best on-call policy. Perhaps one of the nice things about it, when done properly, is that everyone really does mean everyone, right up to the CEO.
The neat thing is that, in the 2 years I've been working for this most recent company, I've only been called twice in those two years and both times were during the day and neither had to do with production code. I "blame" the 100% peer review policy and the QA/UAT testing for the lack of urgencies.

I envy you that. I've too often been in positions where QA was skimped or even ignored (other than lip service), once where the QA director was the main force behind skimping QA and forcing development to skimp on system tests and unit testing in order to meet release dates based on management's decisions to ignore all cost and resource estimates produced by anyone who had a clue.

Tom
Post #1525432
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 1:36 AM

SSCertifiable

Revenant (12/21/2013)
If anyone is interested, I will find on Monday what the on-call policy is for the third-level SQL Server support.

Surely it's the standard MS policy? No 3rd level support (other than writing useless responses to connect items) unless you have thrown a really big heap of money at them, but excellent support if you have. That's what I always got from MS.

Tom
Post #1525435
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 5:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (12/23/2013)
I've been having a strange problem for the last few days, roughly speaking internet access to USA sites has been almost impossible: average proportion of lost packets about 85%, occassional good peiods of 15 minutes or so when lost packets dropped to around 40%.

Damn! I told the NSA their new sniffers were inefficient!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1525481
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 5:23 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 6:25 AM
Jeff Moden (12/23/2013)
I've been having a strange problem for the last few days, roughly speaking internet access to USA sites has been almost impossible: average proportion of lost packets about 85%, occassional good peiods of 15 minutes or so when lost packets dropped to around 40%.

Yeah, you would! Don't make them any more efficient, Jeff!

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1525482
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 5:53 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 1:39 PM
Thankful for the cold and white snow.
Sounds like a real mess not too far east.
Hope everyone is warm, safe, and has a great holiday.
Post #1525499
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 10:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:08 PM
GilaMonster (12/20/2013)
Does this get the weird question of the week award? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1525137-391-1.aspx

I believe the answer is "A SAN"
A PLAN, A CANAL, PANASA!

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1525599
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 10:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
jcrawf02 (12/23/2013)
GilaMonster (12/20/2013)
Does this get the weird question of the week award? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1525137-391-1.aspx

I believe the answer is "A SAN"
A PLAN, A CANAL, PANASA!

A SAN, a LAN a la NASA.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1525601
Posted Monday, December 23, 2013 2:24 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:54 PM
Haven't had much time to post in The Thread or elsewhere lately due to work and other social commitments eating much of my time lately, but I wanted to drop by and wish everyone happy holidays! May SQL Clause deliver you all a healthy dose of anti-RBAR

-
Post #1525640
Posted Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:24 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 6:31 AM
Ed Wagner (12/23/2013)
Jeff Moden (12/23/2013)

Yeah, you would! Don't make them any more efficient, Jeff!

Maybe it'd help if they were using tally tables to split the information out...
Post #1525730
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2444,2454,2464,2474,248»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse