Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2434,2444,2454,2464,247»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:41 PM
So far seeing two trends emerge with the oncall question.

1. Week is better (or several days grouped together) or a the daily rotation
2. Oncall just SUCKS.

And I definitely agree with the second of those 2

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1525196
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 3:45 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

OCTom (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
I'm curious as to the different ways that you fine folks have seen / dealt with being on-call, and what you perceive the pros/cons of these are?
For instance:
on-call for a week at a time, rotating weeks.
on-call for a day at a time, rotating days.
etc.

Thanks!

The best on-call rotation I has was a month at a time. It sounds awful but was good. We had enough people that you were on call only 1 month out of the year.

Being oncall for that month, when stuff broke - did you work like crazy to ensure you did not have the same thing turn into multiple nights or multiple failures? I'd imagine most would but I tend to see a lot of passing the buck with the daily rotation style. Chief reason for that is they wouldn't have to worry about the problem the next day.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1525199
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 3:47 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Hey, all brand new SQLSaturday in a new state- SQLSaturday 293 - Maine. Be among the first to submit to speak, http://sqlsaturday.com/293/callforspeakers.aspx. Especially those of you who live in New England.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1525200
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 4:05 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
New blog post for your weekend enjoyment:

Things That Make You Go "D'oh!" - Part 1: My Arithmetic is Overflowing???

Like Bartles & Jaymes, we thank you for your support.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1525204
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 7:13 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:57 AM
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
OCTom (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
I'm curious as to the different ways that you fine folks have seen / dealt with being on-call, and what you perceive the pros/cons of these are?
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

The best on-call rotation I has was a month at a time. It sounds awful but was good. We had enough people that you were on call only 1 month out of the year.

Being oncall for that month, when stuff broke - did you work like crazy to ensure you did not have the same thing turn into multiple nights or multiple failures? I'd imagine most would but I tend to see a lot of passing the buck with the daily rotation style. Chief reason for that is they wouldn't have to worry about the problem the next day.

Yes. It really made a difference because you could concentrate on issues. We found that the number of problems decreased over time. It became a rare instance when you were actually called. Maybe 1 or 2 times a month. One year we went 4months without a call. It also made us a lot more serious when implementing changes. Four of my colleagues had been pretty cavalier about not testing changes and just implementing them. That changed pretty quickly because one of the on call rules was if you did something to cause a call, you had to join the current on call person for the remainder of his month. Not only did the on call person get called, but, then he called you.

About a week before you were due to be on call for your month, you met with the current on call person and checked the on call logs to see if there were any issues not solved, and, you worked hard to solve them before you went on call. There were generous flexibility in work schedule if you did get called.

Tom
Post #1525230
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 8:54 PM

SSC-Insane

OCTom (12/20/2013)
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
OCTom (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

Yes. It really made a difference because you could concentrate on issues. We found that the number of problems decreased over time. It became a rare instance when you were actually called. Maybe 1 or 2 times a month. One year we went 4months without a call. It also made us a lot more serious when implementing changes. Four of my colleagues had been pretty cavalier about not testing changes and just implementing them. That changed pretty quickly because one of the on call rules was if you did something to cause a call, you had to join the current on call person for the remainder of his month. Not only did the on call person get called, but, then he called you.

About a week before you were due to be on call for your month, you met with the current on call person and checked the on call logs to see if there were any issues not solved, and, you worked hard to solve them before you went on call. There were generous flexibility in work schedule if you did get called.

Tom

Now see that seems like a very good solution.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1525234
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 9:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 1:55 PM
GilaMonster (12/20/2013)
Does this get the weird question of the week award? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1525137-391-1.aspx

I believe the answer is "A SAN"

Yeah, that's probably the lame question of the week. It just screamed "homework" or "online test". I didn't think of an interview question, in which case they probably aren't qualified. I enjoyed the Jeopardy categories you and Sean posted though.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1525235
Posted Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:07 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 3:00 PM
We have a wonderful "on call" policy. Anyone and everyone can be called at any time.

The neat thing is that, in the 2 years I've been working for this most recent company, I've only been called twice in those two years and both times were during the day and neither had to do with production code. I "blame" the 100% peer review policy and the QA/UAT testing for the lack of urgencies.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1525276
Posted Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:29 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
If anyone is interested, I will find on Monday what the on-call policy is for the third-level SQL Server support.
Post #1525291
Posted Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:56 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:36 PM
Jeff Moden (12/21/2013)
We have a wonderful "on call" policy. Anyone and everyone can be called at any time.

The neat thing is that, in the 2 years I've been working for this most recent company, I've only been called twice in those two years and both times were during the day and neither had to do with production code. I "blame" the 100% peer review policy and the QA/UAT testing for the lack of urgencies.

Our calls were infrequent. Usually something on the ERP was running late, so we couldn't start on time.
Or someone shut down a system, forgot to start it back up, and once we figured this out, called them.

The best one though - they seemed to not put edits in the ERP system. So a fast typing shop floor person would punch their clock number into the completion field. 601xxxxx into a field normally under 100. If they did not catch and reverse this, we would see all the parts on the BOM issued out. After a couple times we when saw this, we put our own edit in.

Reversing the transaction was a circus. Many of the screens didn't even show the whole number involved, so they would reverse what they thought was the right amount, only to see another number still remaining.

Never could figure out why this didn't rise up in priority to put an edit in. I guess finance liked the excitement when this happened. 1 transaction was more than several years of sales.....
Post #1525292
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2434,2444,2454,2464,247»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse