Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2424,2434,2444,2454,246»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 11:12 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
Jack Corbett (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
I'm curious as to the different ways that you fine folks have seen / dealt with being on-call, and what you perceive the pros/cons of these are?
For instance:
on-call for a week at a time, rotating weeks.
on-call for a day at a time, rotating days.
etc.

Thanks!

When I've been on a call rotation we've done it 2 ways:

1. Week at time starting either Friday morning or Monday. This would be the one I would prefer
2. A more random one that a boss together which was basically Mon-Th one week and then Fri-Sun the next time you were on call. He actually developed a point system Where weekdays had one value, weekends were more, and holidays were the most and he tried tot balance the points for each person in the dept. over the year. The problem with this was the odd change where you'd just get a holiday.

I would hate a day at a time rotation and would think that would make vacations more difficult. I like the weekly rotation the best if I have to be on call.

I agree. Week at a time.

I think communications is easier. DBA hand-off is easier.

I also think another benefit is that on a weekly rotation DBA's are less likely to just pawn something off on the next dba because they don't want to deal with it. If you have to deal with an issue every night, you will probably work a little harder to fix it so you have a quieter night the next night.

When I was on call, it was a week at a time. BUT, my co-workers were so bad at it that at one point the boss said, "Who wants it?" Mine was the only hand to go up, so I was on call for about 8 years straight, no official hand-off to anyone, even when I was on vacation or camping with the scouts. I even did a few fixes on my phone from campsites.

But weekly should work. Daily seems nuts. It's easier to plan "I'm at this week" rather than, "I think I'm on this day, did I count right?"

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1525117
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 11:25 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:07 PM
Grant Fritchey (12/20/2013)
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
I'm curious as to the different ways that you fine folks have seen / dealt with being on-call, and what you perceive the pros/cons of these are?
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

1. Week at time starting either Friday morning or Monday. This would be the one I would prefer
2. A more random one that a boss together which was basically Mon-Th one week and then Fri-Sun the next time you were on call. He actually developed a point system Where weekdays had one value, weekends were more, and holidays were the most and he tried tot balance the points for each person in the dept. over the year. The problem with this was the odd change where you'd just get a holiday.

I would hate a day at a time rotation and would think that would make vacations more difficult. I like the weekly rotation the best if I have to be on call.

I agree. Week at a time.

I also think another benefit is that on a weekly rotation DBA's are less likely to just pawn something off on the next dba because they don't want to deal with it. If you have to deal with an issue every night, you will probably work a little harder to fix it so you have a quieter night the next night.

When I was on call, it was a week at a time. BUT, my co-workers were so bad at it that at one point the boss said, "Who wants it?" Mine was the only hand to go up, so I was on call for about 8 years straight, no official hand-off to anyone, even when I was on vacation or camping with the scouts. I even did a few fixes on my phone from campsites.

But weekly should work. Daily seems nuts. It's easier to plan "I'm at this week" rather than, "I think I'm on this day, did I count right?"

Daily is nuts. I don't think you ever get the needed mental break from being oncall with the daily rotation.

I have also done plenty of oncall 24x7x365 for about 8yrs as well. And frankly, daily rotation feels just like being oncall 24x7x366

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1525122
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 11:31 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:29 AM
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
Grant Fritchey (12/20/2013)
SQLRNNR (12/20/2013)
WayneS (12/20/2013)
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

I agree. Week at a time.

Daily is nuts. I don't think you ever get the needed mental break from being oncall with the daily rotation.

I have also done plenty of oncall 24x7x365 for about 8yrs as well. And frankly, daily rotation feels just like being oncall 24x7x366

I like the weekly system as well. However, I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the whole point system. I'm definitely going to give that one some thought.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1525124
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 12:54 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:21 PM
Does this get the weird question of the week award? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1525137-391-1.aspx

I believe the answer is "A SAN"

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1525159
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 1:00 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:30 PM
GilaMonster (12/20/2013)
Does this get the weird question of the week award? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1525137-391-1.aspx

I believe the answer is "A SAN"

Totally agree - this same question has been posted in 3 or 4 different places in the last day - likely the same person.

Post #1525163
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 1:25 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
I think we phone screened that person for a job once. Every question resulted in awkward silence, then some non-related babble, followed by an extremely well stated answer that exceeded the candidate's apparent spoken English skills.
Post #1525172
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 1:28 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
Andrew Notarian (12/20/2013)
I think we phone screened that person for a job once. Every question resulted in awkward silence, then some non-related babble, followed by an extremely well stated answer that exceeded the candidate's apparent spoken English skills.

Well, if you were trying to fill the position of "Senior Googler" or "Google Ninja", I hope you hired that candidate!

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1525174
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 1:31 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
wolfkillj (12/20/2013)
Andrew Notarian (12/20/2013)

Well, if you were trying to fill the position of "Senior Googler" or "Google Ninja", I hope you hired that candidate!

Overqualified!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1525176
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 3:20 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
WayneS (12/20/2013)
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

All suck.

However, a week at a time was easier to plan things for. I could plan to limit activities, or enagage in a few things with a week to deal with.

Rotating days just sucked. You might get a bad day, then you have to work, then you're back on call. Harder to recover, but then I like to bunch together stuff I dislike, so maybe weeks worked better for me.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1525188
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 3:39 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:02 AM
WayneS (12/20/2013)
For instance:
etc.

Thanks!

The best on-call rotation I has was a month at a time. It sounds awful but was good. We had enough people that you were on call only 1 month out of the year.
Post #1525193
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2424,2434,2444,2454,246»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse