Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2154,2164,2174,2184,219»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:00 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:10 AM
Jeff Moden (11/17/2013)
WayneS (11/17/2013)
Speaking of Tally / Numbers tables - does anyone have a tally-table based query that you wish would run even faster? I'm going to be doing a test of the tally table in SQL 2014 with the new in-memory dataset and in-memory compiled procedures to see if this good-ole standby can be made even faster. Please send me your examples to test out (test data appreciated but not required).

Thanks!

Yep... DelimitedSplit8K and maybe migrate that to a DelimitedSplitMAX.

Now I get it! What was I thinking? Brain dead on a Monday morning I guess.

How about PatternSplitCM from the 4th article in my signature links?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1515087
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 5:45 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:00 PM
dwain.c (11/17/2013)
Jeff Moden (11/17/2013)
WayneS (11/17/2013)
Speaking of Tally / Numbers tables - does anyone have a tally-table based query that you wish would run even faster? I'm going to be doing a test of the tally table in SQL 2014 with the new in-memory dataset and in-memory compiled procedures to see if this good-ole standby can be made even faster. Please send me your examples to test out (test data appreciated but not required).

Thanks!

Yep... DelimitedSplit8K and maybe migrate that to a DelimitedSplitMAX.

Now I get it! What was I thinking? Brain dead on a Monday morning I guess.

How about PatternSplitCM from the 4th article in my signature links?

I know it completely throws a money wrench into things, but my wish list would have to include DelimitedSplitMAX with a delimiter longer than 1 character. I had tried a couple of things a while back and taking that constant to a variable really throws things off.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1515198
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 6:39 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:44 AM
Went over 11,000 points a while back and I also managed to wringle myself into the top 10 (sorry Paul).

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1515210
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 7:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 AM
Koen Verbeeck (11/18/2013)
Went over 11,000 points a while back and I also managed to wringle myself into the top 10 (sorry Paul).

Well done Koen

Don't think I'll ever reach that high, I seem to be dropping into the realms of obscurity

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

Post #1515224
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 7:52 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:07 PM
Has anyone heard anything about partitioning in 2014 making drastic performance improvements? I was at a presentation on SQL Server 2014 recently and the presenter, a Microsoft guy, told the audience that a way to get huge performance improvements on large tables was to use partitioning. He went so far as to say "you should all be partitioning your tables."
From what I know, that's just not true. Partitioning is a tricky, time consuming thing to set up properly and has other effects on your tables and indexes. It can be very useful in archiving, but doesn't improve performance by itself. I didn't know how to bring this up during the presentation though and was hesitant in contradicting someone who works for Microsoft.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1515235
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 8:00 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:00 PM
Congradulations, Koen. Well done.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1515242
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 9:30 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 4:20 AM
I'm not aware of any major structural changes for partitioning in 2014, but I'm sitting at the MVP Summit, let me ask people...

No one is aware of anything like that. I'm with you partitioning can work to improve performance, but only after you set up all kinds of other stuff... and you have to really need it. Just partitioning, just because, no. It's not a performance enhancer in most cases. In fact, I wouldn't advocate for it for performance, ever. I'd advocate for it for management.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1515286
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 10:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:07 PM
Grant Fritchey (11/18/2013)
I'm not aware of any major structural changes for partitioning in 2014, but I'm sitting at the MVP Summit, let me ask people...

No one is aware of anything like that. I'm with you partitioning can work to improve performance, but only after you set up all kinds of other stuff... and you have to really need it. Just partitioning, just because, no. It's not a performance enhancer in most cases. In fact, I wouldn't advocate for it for performance, ever. I'd advocate for it for management.

Thanks, the way he kept emphasizing it and saying everyone should be using it, I was thinking I'd gotten it all wrong.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1515303
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:40 PM

Congrats.

When do you plan to catch up with Gail?

And damn! You're getting too far ahead of me. I'll never catch up at this rate.

Tom
Post #1515309
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 11:24 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:44 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (11/18/2013)

Congrats.

When do you plan to catch up with Gail?

In about 40 years, when she's retired.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1515317
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2154,2164,2174,2184,219»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse