Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1754,1764,1774,1784,179»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:14 AM
GilaMonster (10/9/2013)
Brandie, do you have any writing tools that you'd recommend, for tracking characters, places, plot segments, stuff like that? Preferably for iPad and PC.

I use StoryBox for PC (windows). It's rather inexpensive and you can find it here.

Schrivner was originally created for Mac, then came out with a Windows version. I don't know if it has an iPad version. But lots of people swear by it. You can find it here.

And as I searched for Scrivener, I found a few articles mentioning they were coming out with an iPad version. I don't know if it's out yet. I haven't used Scrivener at all, BTW.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1503472
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:23 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

All,

I have gotten no responses to my SQL 2012 question here, so I'm going to post in the Thread.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1503475
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:45 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:07 PM
dwain.c (10/9/2013)
Am I the only one left speechless and flabbergasted by this post?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1503017.aspx

I used to teach 2 methods to swap A and B in entry level university FORTRAN course (too) long ago.

Is he saying that this fundamental property of the UPDATE statement is not something a fresh-out (of university) would know?

The thing is, according to the OP that's not what the interviewer was asking. They were asking how to update to B then back to A in a single statement, which can't be done (an update only changes the value once). If the OP interpreted the interview question correctly then it was a stupid question (or designed to see if the candidate understood the inner workings of updates)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1503525
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:48 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2013)
GilaMonster (10/9/2013)
Brandie, do you have any writing tools that you'd recommend, for tracking characters, places, plot segments, stuff like that? Preferably for iPad and PC.

I use StoryBox for PC (windows). It's rather inexpensive and you can find it here.

Schrivner was originally created for Mac, then came out with a Windows version. I don't know if it has an iPad version. But lots of people swear by it. You can find it here.

And as I searched for Scrivener, I found a few articles mentioning they were coming out with an iPad version. I don't know if it's out yet. I haven't used Scrivener at all, BTW.

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I write a lot on my iPad, which is why I was hoping for something that works across platforms.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1503531
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:59 AM

SSCertifiable

GilaMonster (10/10/2013)
GilaMonster (10/9/2013)

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I write a lot on my iPad, which is why I was hoping for something that works across platforms.

You might be able to get a single license for Scrivener that covers both the iPad and Windows version, then just transfer the files between devices. I don't know, though.

Post #1503536
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:14 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:06 PM
dwain.c (10/9/2013)
Am I the only one left speechless and flabbergasted by this post?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1503017.aspx

I used to teach 2 methods to swap A and B in entry level university FORTRAN course (too) long ago.

Is he saying that this fundamental property of the UPDATE statement is not something a fresh-out (of university) would know?

I don't think so. I think he's saying that many interviewers ask it.
Maybe that's because interviewers ae dumb; but judging by some of the previous stuff in the thread, maybe there's a good reason for them to ask it.

Besides, knowing how to do it in Fortran or BCPL or Algol or C or C++ or C# or Dartmouth Basic or VB of JScript or Pascal or Modula or Lisp or ML or Coral or Smalltalk or Java or Dylan doesn't help with knowing how to do it in a single SQL DML statement, and any of those languages is more likely to have been the University's main teaching language than is SQL.

Tom
Post #1503553
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:18 AM

SSC-Forever

You might be able to get a single license for Scrivener that covers both the iPad and Windows version, then just transfer the files between devices. I don't know, though.

Doesn't appear to be an iPad version yet, store search comes up blank.
No matter, I'll try some out and see what works for me.

Thanks

Gail Shaw

Post #1503557
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:14 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:06 PM
GilaMonster (10/10/2013)
The thing is, according to the OP that's not what the interviewer was asking. They were asking how to update to B then back to A in a single statement, which can't be done (an update only changes the value once). If the OP interpreted the interview question correctly then it was a stupid question (or designed to see if the candidate understood the inner workings of updates)

If there's an AFTER UPDATE trigger on the table, it might be claimed that its effect could be that the column was updated twice by a perfectly innocent update statement which caused the trigger to fire; at least if you regard columns as actually being updated before the transaction is committed you can see it as that. I don't, of course, so for me even if the single statement is committed automatically only the "second" update ever happens and people using NOLOCK risk seeing values that never existed. So maybe asking for more understanding than it appears to at first sight.

But I suspect the OP didn't interpret the question correctly.

Tom
Post #1503608
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:52 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
GilaMonster (10/10/2013)
GilaMonster (10/9/2013)

Mind mapping, perhaps?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1503723
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:21 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:50 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.
Hate looking this time of year.

That's not cool.
What geographic area are you looking in?

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1503820
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1754,1764,1774,1784,179»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse