Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1744,1754,1764,1774,178»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 9:49 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:18 PM
Chad Crawford (10/9/2013)
I usually take a book home from the summit as my souvenir. I usually get the people I meet to sign it as kind of a memento - helps me remember the good times and good people I've met. Any suggestions on what book I should pick this year? I typically try to get something fairly deep - an internals books, the MVP Dives, or similar. What have you read recently that has been really good? Anything new out that is a must-have?

Thanks,
Chad

You could try this one
http://www.red-gate.com/community/books/sql-server-concurrency
or this one
http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-SQL-Server-2012-Replication/dp/1906434999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381333295&sr=1-1&keywords=sebastian+meine

This one won't be available unfortunately
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2012-Internals/dp/0735658560/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

This one is pretty good too ( I tech edited it)
http://www.apress.com/databases/database-administration/9781430247913

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1503182
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:50 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:51 PM
uhhh.... sparkle ponies. I don't even want to know the search you used to find that one.

Thanks Jason, I'll take a look at those. I do wish the Internals book was released, that probably would have been my first choice.

Chad
Post #1503266
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:16 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:18 PM
uhhh.... sparkle ponies. I don't even want to know the search you used to find that one.

Thanks Jason, I'll take a look at those. I do wish the Internals book was released, that probably would have been my first choice.

Chad

Sucks that it won't be released. It also sucks that 2014 is about to be released now and that 2012 book is just now coming out

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1503273
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:47 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:06 AM
Lynn Pettis (10/8/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.
Hate looking this time of year.

Right there with you, only I would have been on the street the same day I was told my job was cut had I not been over here in Afghanistan. At least I get to finish my deployment. Let's me put money aside to live on while looking for employment when I get back.
Well that just sucks. You know, to inform someone of that while they're in Afghanistan is just beyond rude.
Is this a "shutdown" related thing? If so, do you expect that you'll be kept if the government reaches an agreement with itself?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1503286
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:29 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:26 AM
Brandie, do you have any writing tools that you'd recommend, for tracking characters, places, plot segments, stuff like that? Preferably for iPad and PC.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1503303
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:36 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:25 AM
Ed Wagner (10/9/2013)
Lynn Pettis (10/8/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.
Hate looking this time of year.

Right there with you, only I would have been on the street the same day I was told my job was cut had I not been over here in Afghanistan. At least I get to finish my deployment. Let's me put money aside to live on while looking for employment when I get back.
Well that just sucks. You know, to inform someone of that while they're in Afghanistan is just beyond rude.
Is this a "shutdown" related thing? If so, do you expect that you'll be kept if the government reaches an agreement with itself?

My position State-side going away was part of a right sizing. They had trimmed 200 or so positions early this year. Could things turn around if the politicians pulled their heads out of their arses, maybe. We are also drawing down here as well. If my position hadn't been cut I probably would have been able to extend and be the sole DBA in theater starting in February. At least they are trying to extend me until the end of January.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1503305
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:41 PM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Today @ 8:41 AM
SQLRNNR (10/9/2013)

Chad

Sucks that it won't be released. It also sucks that 2014 is about to be released now and that 2012 book is just now coming out

2014 also means some new and renamed tools.
Microsoft seems to think you can keep up by reading a blog or two.
Post #1503307
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:36 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:25 PM
GilaMonster (10/9/2013)
Brandie, do you have any writing tools that you'd recommend, for tracking characters, places, plot segments, stuff like that? Preferably for iPad and PC.

If I may, I really like Springpad. You can put notes on an iPad or your PC and it synchronizes between the two or three or however many devices and the web site.
It has notes, lists and other types of document you can use.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1503323
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:26 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:58 PM
Am I the only one left speechless and flabbergasted by this post?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1503017.aspx

I used to teach 2 methods to swap A and B in entry level university FORTRAN course (too) long ago.

Is he saying that this fundamental property of the UPDATE statement is not something a fresh-out (of university) would know?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1503337
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:48 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:39 AM
dwain.c (10/9/2013)
Am I the only one left speechless and flabbergasted by this post?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1503017.aspx

I used to teach 2 methods to swap A and B in entry level university FORTRAN course (too) long ago.

Is he saying that this fundamental property of the UPDATE statement is not something a fresh-out (of university) would know?

Yeah, that was some weird thread.
Interview questions, they lead to all sorts of weird stuff.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1503386
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1744,1754,1764,1774,178»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse