Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1724,1734,1744,1754,176»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
Stefan Krzywicki (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.
Hate looking this time of year.

Overall that sucks. But at least they did a couple of good things based on those statements (retainer and a 1 month lead on the dismissal).

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1502791
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:33 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:10 AM
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.

Overall that sucks. But at least they did a couple of good things based on those statements (retainer and a 1 month lead on the dismissal).

And the promise of a good recommendation. They waited until after the wedding too. All in all, not the worst way to end a contract. It was a 6 mo contract that lasted 3.5 years. Now if only my agency would call me back...

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1502793
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:36 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:52 PM
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

And the promise of a good recommendation. They waited until after the wedding too. All in all, not the worst way to end a contract. It was a 6 mo contract that lasted 3.5 years. Now if only my agency would call me back...

They seem reasonable people. At my first job I was fired during the economic recession in 2009, two weeks before my wedding and while my wife was pregnant of our first child.
Bastards The company doesn't exist anymore, btw

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1502795
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:36 PM

SSCoach

SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

Both of those are also very commendable things too.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1502796
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:47 PM

SSCoach

Koen Verbeeck (10/8/2013)
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

They seem reasonable people. At my first job I was fired during the economic recession in 2009, two weeks before my wedding and while my wife was pregnant of our first child.

Why is that? Did you go and exact your revenge?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1502804
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:51 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:52 PM
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

Mainly because management had their heads in their *** and they only had short-term vision. Pissing off your consultansts is usually not a good practice for a long-term relationship. Some managers only cared about the numbers and not about the people. A lot of good people left and eventually the company was absorbed by the parent company.

Met some interesting people though, some of them are still very good friends. Ah well, me getting fired kickstarted my career in SQL Server and BI, so in the end it was the best thing that ever happened to me, career-wise.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1502806
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:25 PM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:12 AM
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

Not sure but I heard there was a red swingline stapler smoldering in the aftermath of the "gas line explosion".

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1502823
Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:11 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:48 AM

Right there with you, only I would have been on the street the same day I was told my job was cut had I not been over here in Afghanistan. At least I get to finish my deployment. Let's me put money aside to live on while looking for employment when I get back.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1502914
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:25 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304906704579113243559989478.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

This seems like an exceptionally bad idea to me.
1 - you wouldn't *have* a pacemaker if your heartbeat wasn't irregular, so how is that ECG going to be consistent enough to be a password?
2 - if you flatline it allows anyone access, which is a good thing, but if you're just having trouble and your heartbeat is skipping all over the place, everyone has to *wait* for you to flatline before they can do anything?
3 - you can only initiate wireless contact through an initial wired connection? That's not wireless!

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1503091
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
SQLRNNR (10/8/2013)

Sorry to hear that, but congratulations! How'd the wedding go?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1503092
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1724,1734,1744,1754,176»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse