Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1494,1504,1514,1524,153»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:12 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:34 PM
Congrats to you both, Lynn!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1499743
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:26 PM
Lynn Pettis (9/29/2013)
I am officially a grandfather, again. Kassondra gave birth to her second son, Branson James on 9/28 @ 6:19 PM MDT!

Congrats and many wonderful years for everyone!
Post #1499749
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 9:32 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:26 PM
Lynn Pettis (9/29/2013)
I am officially a grandfather, again. Kassondra gave birth to her second son, Branson James on 9/28 @ 6:19 PM MDT!

Congratulations Lynn. Best wishes for the newborn and all your family.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1499755
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:32 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:57 PM
Lynn Pettis (9/29/2013)

Congrats!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1499767
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 2:55 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I'm am totally afraid for this person...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1499747-391-1.aspx

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1499774
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:02 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:07 PM
Oh dear....

If I may change the topic... For the purposes of a book chapter, what are your favourite statistics-related myths?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1499776
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:04 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:26 PM
Jeff Moden (9/29/2013)

For this person or for his/her company?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1499778
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

GilaMonster (9/29/2013)
Oh dear....

If I may change the topic... For the purposes of a book chapter, what are your favourite statistics-related myths?

1. People that think that Temp Tables don't have them.
2. People that think they don't need to be maintained because auto-update statistics is turned on... especially when it comes to tables with millions of rows.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1499781
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:14 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Luis Cazares (9/29/2013)
Jeff Moden (9/29/2013)

For this person or for his/her company?

Yes!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1499782
Posted Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:40 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:06 PM
GilaMonster (9/29/2013)
Oh dear....

As 2013 is the International Year of Statistics, I'll assume you are talking about that science (or art) rather than about table statistics.

You might find [i]the myths and realities[/o] page thatGuanajuayto U's maths research center put together for the international year of statistics helpful; or not, it may not be the sort of myth you are looking for. I have some more technical statistics myths, though:-
1) With a normal distribution there's a central band 3 standard deviations wide that contains 99.7% of the population. (It's actually 6 standard deviationw wide - the 3 sigma rule isays that 99.7% are within 3 standard deviations of the mean).
2) It's always safe to assume that everything has a normal distribution, because any other distribution is abnormal. That's just total nonense; plenty of things in the real world conform to Exponential distributions, Bounded Uniform distributions, Poisson distributions, Cauchy distributions, Weibull distributions, Pareto distributions, Erlang and other Gamma distributions, and hordes more.
3) The Shannon Hartley sampling theorem proves that you can only get 2B bits/second down a channel of bandwidth B Hertz, no matter how good the signal to noise ratio. (It actually says 2B real numbers to exact precision, ie 2B times an infinite number of bits; but I've had people with engineering degrees who worked in data communications making this claim, and been unable to convince them they were wrong; it says very little for the insititutions awarding those degrees that they delivered pig-headedly stupid graduates who didn't know the diffeence between a bit and a baud, and couldn't handle enough statistics to understand Shannon's encoding theorem).
4) You are always saffe using the law of large numbers. Well, you certainlty aren't when looking at specrum splitting and shifting due to electrostatic effects, or resonance energy distributions at the quantum level, or a few other bits of physics (some of it applied physics, not just theeory) where Cauchy distributions crop up.
5) Every statistical distribution has a mean and a variance; well, Cauchy distributions have neither, nor any higher moments, and that's why number 4 above is a myth.
6) If statistics predicts that something has low probability and then that something happens this proves statistics is wrong. (Interesting idea that; so low probability events don't happen? The favorite always comes first?) Theres also a similar one about high proability events that don't happen.

Tom
Post #1499798
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1494,1504,1514,1524,153»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse