Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1354,1364,1374,1384,139»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:38 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:41 PM
Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2013)
wolfkillj (9/20/2013)
... The filibuster ...

I don't think I'm the lone non-US citizen who doesn't quite understand what the Filibuster is all about. The way I understand it is that some Representative keeps on talking (without sitting down) about one or other topic that's up for a vote in the House in order to make sure that the bill in question isn't put up for a vote within a certain allotted time. Am I right?

We have it in Belgium as well. If I remember it correctly, one of the politicians was reading from a telephone book for hours.
Our tax money well spent...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1497227
Posted Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:31 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:03 PM
Lynn Pettis (9/21/2013)
hisakimatama (9/21/2013)
Lynn Pettis (9/21/2013)
Well, by reading The Thread from start to now you also got to learn some interesting things about many of the regulars here on SSC. Hopefully you also learned why we refer to this as The Water Cooler.

It is a good place to socialize, blow off a little steam, and get others to help (on other threads) when you are stumped with your own problem or on others.

You may also come to call some of us friends at some point, I know I do. I know more about some people here than I do about some of the people I work with on a daily basis.

Again, welcome.

Thanks, Lynn . I'll probably lurk around and toss in some commentary here and there while I browse the site when work's slow. And if I end up becoming friends with some of the regulars here, I'd be quite honored! Seeing the work you all do is great, and I've learned a ton just by observing. Maybe at some point I'll be able to attend a conference and pick up some in-person learning. And then I'll need to sleep for awhile so my brain doesn't turn into pudding from over-saturation

I learned more when I became more involved on SSC and started trying to help others. Several key people showed me better ways and I learned from them. My suggestion, don't just lurk. Try to solve some of the problems posted even if you don't post a solution. You can still compare whet you develop to what others may post.

+1 for the excellent advice. That's exactly how I got started.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1497249
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 5:16 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 6:45 AM
Jeff Moden (9/20/2013)
Are you good folks saying that any form of SELECT/INTO is bad? If so, why?

Certainly not. However, in the form highlighted in the original post, it's inexcusable in production code

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1497328
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 6:19 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 6:15 AM
Koen Verbeeck (9/22/2013)
Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2013)
wolfkillj (9/20/2013)
... The filibuster ...

I don't think I'm the lone non-US citizen who doesn't quite understand what the Filibuster is all about. The way I understand it is that some Representative keeps on talking (without sitting down) about one or other topic that's up for a vote in the House in order to make sure that the bill in question isn't put up for a vote within a certain allotted time. Am I right?

We have it in Belgium as well. If I remember it correctly, one of the politicians was reading from a telephone book for hours.
Our tax money well spent...

I actually would say that politicians who do nothing but stand and talk actually is tax money well spent... it's when they agree and pass a law that it's not well spent. I prefer to think of it as 2 (or more) tribes of cannibals who are trying to decide whether to have legs or arms for dinner... the longer they argue the better for me.
Post #1497346
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 7:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:57 PM
hisakimatama (9/21/2013)
This thread's been to some amusing places, though, ...

I'm nominating this as the "Understatement of the Year"

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1497373
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 7:32 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 1:38 PM
Lynn Pettis (9/21/2013)
hisakimatama (9/21/2013)
Lynn Pettis (9/21/2013)
Well, by reading The Thread from start to now you also got to learn some interesting things about many of the regulars here on SSC. Hopefully you also learned why we refer to this as The Water Cooler.

It is a good place to socialize, blow off a little steam, and get others to help (on other threads) when you are stumped with your own problem or on others.

You may also come to call some of us friends at some point, I know I do. I know more about some people here than I do about some of the people I work with on a daily basis.

Again, welcome.

Thanks, Lynn . I'll probably lurk around and toss in some commentary here and there while I browse the site when work's slow. And if I end up becoming friends with some of the regulars here, I'd be quite honored! Seeing the work you all do is great, and I've learned a ton just by observing. Maybe at some point I'll be able to attend a conference and pick up some in-person learning. And then I'll need to sleep for awhile so my brain doesn't turn into pudding from over-saturation

I learned more when I became more involved on SSC and started trying to help others. Several key people showed me better ways and I learned from them. My suggestion, don't just lurk. Try to solve some of the problems posted even if you don't post a solution. You can still compare whet you develop to what others may post.

Oh, definitely! I'll be trying to answer a few of the questions that are floating around on the forums. Took a crack at two on Friday, and I seem to have been helpful enough. At least, I'm fairly sure I was helpful... My legs haven't been taken out by porcine missiles yet, so I'll assume I haven't done anything too horrible just yet

----------------------------------
My journal of things I'm learning about SQL
Post #1497383
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 7:41 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:20 PM
Rolled out an explosive. It could be a lady finger or a nuclear bomb. Curious how it's going to go off. Stand by for a fizzle or a big bang.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1497385
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 7:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:03 PM
Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)
Rolled out an explosive. It could be a lady finger or a nuclear bomb. Curious how it's going to go off. Stand by for a fizzle or a big bang.

Real or code metaphor?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1497395
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 8:20 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:20 PM
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)
Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)

Real or code metaphor?

Metaphor.

Trust me, when I build real explosives (not that I would ever do that) I usually have a pretty good idea how big the bang will be (mostly, occasional surprises are part of the fun).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1497407
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 11:44 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 12:14 PM
So, this weekend I learned a valuable lesson (that I should've already known:) ALWAYS verify everything is working before calling it done...

I was loading OS updates on a SQL server that I had also set the -T1222 flag for the next time I rebooted (which would be when loading said updates.) Yeah, well, didn't realize that I actually needed to put in ;-T1222

So, SQL couldn't start and spent all weekend down. Thankfully no one needed to use it until today, and it only took a couple minutes to straighten things out (saw in the event logs the error, rather than take the time to research, took out the -T1222 and started SQL)

eye am smart, really i are...
Post #1497482
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1354,1364,1374,1384,139»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse