Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1184,1194,1204,1214,122»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:24 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:32 PM
Ed Wagner (9/4/2013)
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2013)
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2013)
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)
Well this post is my 10,000th point. I guess I have proved I too can waste lots of time answering forums posts instead of doing my actual job. Thanks everyone for letting me hang around all these years.

Congrats!

Thanks Koen. I guess that means Grant will now be able to hear me.

Indeed
He still chooses to ignore us though

Don't blame him either. But at least now it by choice.

Congratulations, Sean. Well-done and well-deserved title of Champion.

Thanks for the compliment Ed.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1491535
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:27 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:30 PM
jasona.work (9/4/2013)
I'm actually looking at tackling one of these (an easy one!) but I do have a question on it...

How quick of a turn-around are you looking for?
Couple days, couple weeks, no more than a month?

I think I could bang out the article in question in a day, but making it "pretty" with screen grabs, music, video, sound effects, etc...

Also, what sort of format? Word Doc with embedded images OK, or would you prefer straight-up HTML?

Jason

Submitted on the site. There's a WYSIWYG editor.

Turnaround, 2-4 weeks. None are hard, and many of you could knock one out in an evening, but you might want to think about it.

In general, most are 1-2 pages, designed to hit a specific item I've seen multiple newbies ask about.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1491537
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:30 PM
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)
Well this post is my 10,000th point. I guess I have proved I too can waste lots of time answering forums posts instead of doing my actual job. Thanks everyone for letting me hang around all these years.

Congrats

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #1491539
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:51 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:32 PM
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)

Well done!

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1491563
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:45 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/4/2013)
jasona.work (9/4/2013)
I'm actually looking at tackling one of these (an easy one!) but I do have a question on it...

How quick of a turn-around are you looking for?
Couple days, couple weeks, no more than a month?

I think I could bang out the article in question in a day, but making it "pretty" with screen grabs, music, video, sound effects, etc...

Also, what sort of format? Word Doc with embedded images OK, or would you prefer straight-up HTML?

Jason

Submitted on the site. There's a WYSIWYG editor.

Turnaround, 2-4 weeks. None are hard, and many of you could knock one out in an evening, but you might want to think about it.

In general, most are 1-2 pages, designed to hit a specific item I've seen multiple newbies ask about.

Let me think about it, I might try writing it up first, see how I like it and how long it takes to get it done...

I do like to think that I write nice, coherent, easy to follow directions, so this might be a good fit for me.
Post #1491577
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:05 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:28 PM
Time for some begging. If any of you will be in the Boston area Monday, October, 28 and would be willing to speak at the Seacoast SQL User group up in Portsmouth, NH (about an hour north of Boston depending on traffic) let me know. Actually if any of you have a time you know you'll be in the area and you are willing to speak let me know and if we are meeting I'll try to get you in. I know some of you live in New England and others work for companies in New England and are in the area sometimes. You can PM me here or, many of you have my personal email already and can use that.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1491591
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:27 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:03 PM
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)

Super achievement Sean!

Your posts, helpfulness and patience have been an inspiration to me.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1491593
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:15 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 AM
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)

Nice work, Sean. You've crafted some exceptional work in them there 10,000 posts and I reckon you've raised the bar for the overall quality of code especially for the "low hanging fruit", which, if it isn't addressed early, appears to attract shelf-stacker coders.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1491641
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:43 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:59 PM
Sean Lange (9/4/2013)

Congratulations! Before you know it you may pass me.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1491676
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:11 AM
I opened a MS Connect item yesterday. There were two previous reports of this that were closed because MS couldn't reproduce the issue. If you've had this problem, could you please upvote, comment, and add that you've experienced this issue with SSMS job activity monitor?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1491732
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1184,1194,1204,1214,122»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse