Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1014,1024,1034,1044,105»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:53 PM
WayneS (8/22/2013)
Sean Lange (8/22/2013)
..... I don't think I have ever grabbed you.

Sometimes, it's the small, unknown things in life that end up giving me the greatest pleasure. I'm so glad you haven't tried!

Are you sure you want to say it like that?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1487585
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:51 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:36 PM
SQLRNNR (8/22/2013)
WayneS (8/22/2013)
Sean Lange (8/22/2013)
..... I don't think I have ever grabbed you.

Sometimes, it's the small, unknown things in life that end up giving me the greatest pleasure. I'm so glad you haven't tried!

Are you sure you want to say it like that?

Since you've quoted me, it's too late to change. But hey... it ties in with the small, hanging fruit, doesn't it?

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1487586
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:01 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:19 PM
Speaking of fruit. The missus and I are getting a new kitchen in and are trying to finalise a few issues.

We were thinking of getting a stone benchtop, but depending on the stone you may need to oil it, or it can suffer from thermal shock. Has anyone had any bad experiences with stone benchtops?

Fal.

Post #1487611
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:04 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:37 PM
Fal (8/22/2013)
Speaking of fruit. The missus and I are getting a new kitchen in and are trying to finalise a few issues.

We were thinking of getting a stone benchtop, but depending on the stone you may need to oil it, or it can suffer from thermal shock. Has anyone had any bad experiences with stone benchtops?

Fal.

Have a chat with ChrisM@Work. He's an expert at hobs, kitchent replacements, etc. as he's been working on his for as long as I can remember.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1487612
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 1:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:36 AM
dwain.c (8/22/2013)
Fal (8/22/2013)

Fal.

Have a chat with ChrisM@Work. He's an expert at hobs, kitchent replacements, etc. as he's been working on his for as long as I can remember.

That's why ChrisM@Home has been so quiet this year

Fal, we went with quartz worktop. It looks and sounds like natural stone and costs about the same (it's templated and cut the same way) but it's impermeable, acid-resistant and tougher. Natural stone is gorgeous but I wouldn't recommend it for a busy family kitchen unless you're prepared to put in a fair amount of time and effort looking after it and can accept the scratches when they appear.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1487665
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 3:01 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:45 AM
Fal (8/22/2013)

My Mother got granite worktops in her kitchen some years back. Beautiful and very strong. Polished, sealed and completely waterproof. Only downside - plates, cups or glasses dropped onto it will break.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1487698
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 3:03 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:42 AM
GilaMonster (8/23/2013)
Fal (8/22/2013)

My Mother got granite worktops in her kitchen some years back. Beautiful and very strong. Polished, sealed and completely waterproof. Only downside - plates, cups or glasses dropped onto it will break.

Friends of ours also have granite. They're pretty happy about it.
Another downside is that it has a maximum length.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1487701
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 3:06 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:36 AM
GilaMonster (8/23/2013)
Fal (8/22/2013)

Do you know which granite, Gail? I spent a while talking to the guys who came in to fit my quartz - they said they preferred black granite to white because it rarely broke during fitting. I appreciate you have your own source of granite in SA and it may well be different to ours.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1487703
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 3:10 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:42 AM
ChrisM@Work (8/23/2013)
GilaMonster (8/23/2013)
Fal (8/22/2013)

Do you know which granite, Gail? I spent a while talking to the guys who came in to fit my quartz - they said they preferred black granite to white because it rarely broke during fitting. I appreciate you have your own source of granite in SA and it may well be different to ours.

The friends I was talking about have white granite. Really beautiful. There seemed to be no issues with the fitting.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1487704
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 3:32 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:45 AM
ChrisM@Work (8/23/2013)
[quote]Do you know which granite, Gail?

It's mostly dark red with black specks.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1487709
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1014,1024,1034,1044,105»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse